Radiators required for a 13900K build.

Associate
I'd like an opinion on whether I'm going to need serious cooling capabilities for a 13900K and (possibly) a 3080/90 .

Having looked through some builds and planning out things in my head, I have come up with a thin 360mm rad and a fairly thick 280mm rad in a Lian Li Mini

I'm thinking DDC Pump/Res and what is concerning me is the noise, as I'm worried about having to turn the fans and pump up somewhat.

Does anyone have any experience they could share?

TIA.

Associate
What's the usage scenario? If you're only gaming you'll likely be fine, especially if you do some undervolting to reign in temperatures a bit (and nowadays I do think undervolting is the way to go). Pump noise shouldn't be a problem as unless your loop ends up very restricted, you'll never need to crank it to 100%, you'll reach diminishing returns on pump rpm at a conservative guess of 60 to 70%.

I'm not a big proponent of DDC pumps though, I think you'll be happier with a D5, if you have the space. They're quieter.

As for the rads, personally I'd be more comfortable if you could fit a thicker 360mm, but I still think you'll have enough cooling potential if you're comfortable with your coolant temps being a bit warmer.

I really find this guys SFF builds to be very informative when it comes to what you can do with reduced rad space in smaller cases. Give him a watch if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used a single very thick EK 360 rad with triple fans, a 13700K and 16% overclocked 6900XT.

Absolutely fine, but I did not overclock the CPU.

I also mount rads on top on the case rather that inside the case, I believe they are better outside of the hot case but I might be completely wrong, its just the way I have always done it.

Associate
OP
I'm not a big proponent of DDC pumps though, I think you'll be happier with a D5, if you have the space. They're quieter.

I really find this guys SFF builds to be very informative when it comes to what you can do with reduced rad space in smaller cases. Give him a watch if you haven't already.

Thanks @Parsley I'll give his vids a look. :cool:

Usage will mainly be gaming so I'm glad to hear that.

My DDC Pump/Res can go to my son and I'll look for a D5 variant. I like quiet.

Associate
OP
I used a single very thick EK 360 rad with triple fans, a 13700K and 16% overclocked 6900XT.

Absolutely fine, but I did not overclock the CPU.

I also mount rads on top on the case rather that inside the case, I believe they are better outside of the hot case but I might be completely wrong, its just the way I have always done it.

That's interesting @dave28 I don't fancy the rad outside the case but I can definitely mount the 280 rad in the side compartment with the fans blowing through it.

When I've got all the components I'll see if I can fit the 360 in the roof in the same manner. My thoughts are the 280 will get in the eway though.

Associate
Are you bound by a case size at all? Is this Mini or Air Mini?
Some thinner rads are now very capable vs a lot thicker stuff.
If you like quiet worth going thin rads with low rpm fans and you'll likely to be OK with 2x 280s, maybe need to add one more 240.
Thats the setup I am eying for 2080ti + 13600k and think it's an overkill already.

Last edited:
Associate
Just so you have a comparison of sorts, these are my temps under a gaming load (Horizon Forbidden West). The computer runs pretty quietly to my ears.

This is with two 360 rads and one 280 with fans pushing (so only one set of fans on each rad), all of "medium" thickness. 13700k and a 3090, both undervolted a tad. The 3090 is also overclocked so it's not as low as I could make the voltage go, people were getting to around 800-900mv if I remember correctly, depending on how much clock speed they were happy losing.

If anything it will give you the sort of wattages I see in games.

34TH0Ah.jpeg

Soldato
Just so you have a comparison of sorts, these are my temps under a gaming load (Horizon Forbidden West). The computer runs pretty quietly to my ears.

This is with two 360 rads and one 280 with fans pushing (so only one set of fans on each rad), all of "medium" thickness. 13700k and a 3090, both undervolted a tad. The 3090 is also overclocked so it's not as low as I could make the voltage go, people were getting to around 800-900mv if I remember correctly, depending on how much clock speed they were happy losing.

34TH0Ah.jpeg

Love the layout of this, easy to read. Been wanting to change my layout for some time, been using the same one for 2-3 years now :cry:.

Associate
Love the layout of this, easy to read. Been wanting to change my layout for some time, been using the same one for 2-3 years now :cry:.
Thanks :), I just wanted functionality, it's tucked away under a monitor and really quite dim, but it's nice being able to keep an eye on things. Quite useful in finding out when a game persists on using efficiency cores, a few do!

And also easier just to take a photo of than type stuff out :p. If you want I can figure out how to send you the layout, or even find the original template I adapted (it has been a good while since I did it, I can't remember off the top of my head). Colour changes are a bit of a faff though unfortunately.

Soldato
Thanks :), I just wanted functionality, it's tucked away under a monitor and really quite dim, but it's nice being able to keep an eye on things. Quite useful in finding out when a game persists on using efficiency cores, a few do!

And also easier just to take a photo of than type stuff out :p. If you want I can figure out how to send you the layout, or even find the original template I adapted (it has been a good while since I did it, I can't remember off the top of my head). Colour changes are a bit of a faff though unfortunately.

The layout is saved in your local roaming i think under aida64. Last time i had to share mine, im pretty sure thats where i located it.

I gave up on E cores, it was annoying me to no end especially on SC. Ended up just turning them off on my 12700K and cranked the P cores way up along with the Ring bus, never looked back and it runs super smooth. Managed better memory timings with this as well.

Associate
The layout is saved in your local roaming i think under aida64. Last time i had to share mine, im pretty sure thats where i located it.

I gave up on E cores, it was annoying me to no end especially on SC. Ended up just turning them off on my 12700K and cranked the P cores way up along with the Ring bus, never looked back and it runs super smooth. Managed better memory timings with this as well.

I don't think it's there anymore, though I can remember some settings being in local roaming, as far as I can see the files are all in programfiles(x86)/finalwire/aida64extreme/ax206lcd (at least for me).

Anyway, I can export the settings and provide the jpeg for the background if you're interested. It's for a 480x800 resolution though.

Soldato
I don't think it's there anymore, though I can remember some settings being in local roaming, as far as I can see the files are all in programfiles(x86)/finalwire/aida64extreme/ax206lcd (at least for me).

Anyway, I can export the settings and provide the jpeg for the background if you're interested. It's for a 480x800 resolution though.

Will have a look at what my display size is and get back to you. Pretty sure its the same :D

Associate
OP
Are you bound by a case size at all? Is this Mini or Air Mini?
Some thinner rads are now very capable vs a lot thicker stuff.
If you like quiet worth going thin rads with low rpm fans and you'll likely to be OK with 2x 280s, maybe need to add one more 240.
Thats the setup I am eying for 2080ti + 13600k and think it's an overkill already.

Thanks @qbazdz I do have a thick 360mm rad that I'll try. Whether in the top or bottom of the case I haven't yet decided. The 280mm rad for the side is a thick rad.

I'm using a normal O11D Mini, not the Air version. I have an O11D Air if all else fails! :cry:

MB and RAM have now arrived and I'm going ITX so I'm hoping to have lots of room to play with.

Thanks for your input. :cool:

Associate
OP

34TH0Ah.jpeg

That is brilliant @Parsley :cool:

Thank you for posting that. I'm hoping to get away with one 360mm and one 280mm rad though, so it's going to be interesting.

Associate
As aida64 templates are mentioned
Anyone know if there's a forum thread for sharing them?
I have a massive collection
About a gigabyte of them at all sorts of resolutions

The only place I recall is the aida64 forum itself. There are a lot of dead links, but it's a very long quite old thread by now. But still active.

I guess your best bet would be sharing them on something like google drive and then sharing the folder and linking there.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only place I recall is the aida64 forum itself. There are a lot of dead links, but it's a very long quite old thread by now. But still active.

I guess your best bet would be sharing them on something like google drive and then sharing the folder and linking there.

I get a lot of my resources from there especially the objects to make the sensor panels. Come in super handy to have especially with the community sharing it all.

Soldato
That's probably where I originally
Got them from
Have uploaded them to Google drive for now
May start an aida64 sensor panel sharing thread
Must be someone in these forums could use them
Only issue is so many in there
think i figured out a way to sort them by
the resolution of the png files
that way i could just browse the ones in resolution i wanted
no idea now how i did it though lol
People seem to link youtube videos etc