Radical Feminist and SJW's incessant cultural Marxism could create havoc on internet infastructure.

Permabanned
It'll only end when people stop pandering to it and treat it with the contempt it so richly deserves. I am not entirely sure these people aren't secretly laughing at those who accommodate their bizarre views.

Soldato
It'll only end when people stop pandering to it and treat it with the contempt it so richly deserves. I am not entirely sure these people aren't secretly laughing at those who accommodate their bizarre views.

No doubt there are some trolls out there, but some are so sincere it's freaking scary

Caporegime
Going back to Bond, incase any of you were worried

James Bond will probably never be played by a female actress, the film series' executive producer has said.

Barbara Broccoli, who is in charge of casting 007, told the Guardian: "Bond is male. He's a male character. He was written as a male and I think he'll probably stay as a male.

"And that's fine. We don't have to turn male characters into women."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45769767

Soldato
Going back to Bond, incase any of you were worried

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45769767

And it was a woman that said it!

Will someone please tell her she is suffering with a serious case of internalised misogyny! (and maybe misognoir if she's ruling out the next Bond being a black woman? )

Okay, you're going to have to explain that one. How does skin colour stop someone being a secret agent, getting a car, or liking a particular drink?

And still on the subject of Bond.... Being black (or any other skin colour) obviously doesn't prevent an actor portraying themselves as a secret agent / spy.

For exanple David Oyelowo was, in my view, a well cast actor for his role in the series Spooks

The problem with a black actor playing bond isn't the credibility of a black person being a spy.... Because that's totally believable imo.

The issue is that the character of Bond (not his profession) isn't one that could, in my view, be realistically be portrayed by a black actor without changing fundamentally who 'Bond' is.

There's the whole back story re his parents, military service, life in Scotland and former wife.

He also isn't a 'progressive' character full stop being in some regards a throw back to days past for the UK....

If you put a black actor in he role you would fail either way imo.

You either address the actors ethnicity in the film and in doing so change the nature of the character fundamentally.... You are no longer doing a 'Bond' movie.

Or you ignore the actors ethnicity completely which makes the actors portrayal of Bond unrealistic given everyone can see the actor is Black.

Its not a good idea in my view to cast a black actor as Bond for similiar reasons as it would make zero sense to cast a white man from the wrong perceived background/ class as Bond.

(for example Danny Dyer as a cockneyesque Bond)

Look up his voice over video on youtube to see what I mean (too much profanity to link directly)

Last edited:
Commissario
The backstory of Bond has already changed several times...

He's been married, he's never been married, his wife was murdered, he never had a wife, he was from a wealthy background, his background hasn't been mentioned...

The only consistant bit is that he's a secret service agent, who is styled after a posh/top level civil servant type look at the time.
Given back in the 40's the only people to fit that sort of background were White men, preferably Oxbridge educated often with a very specific way of speaking they departed from it way back in the Connery days.
These days someone from that sort of civil service background/cover could easily be black, and would certainly confuse the heck out of SPECTRE etc who upon hearing "007 is possibly coming" are looking for a white guy and wasting their time chasing after some idiot, whilst a black bond is just ignored because he's not what they expected ;) (IIRC that sort of thing was a real problem for various intelligence services in the past - they recruited from such a small background group that their agents were often extremely easy to guess based on where they went to university etc;)).

Caporegime
muslim bond would be far more progressive. no martinis but more in line with current trends.
Tbh I'm not sure who a BAME/Woman/Muslim Bond would appeal to?

Those who enjoy a good Bond film are probably not clamouring for this kind of change. The "progressives" probably wouldn't enjoy a traditional Bond film at all - with it's "rape culture" and male chauvinism and other stuff that would trigger them.

So I guess what they really want is to turn the Bond franchise into another generic spy/action flick. It'd probably be trash. But then the last few Bond films have also been trash, so meh. Daniel Craig isn't the worst Bond, but the Bond films he's starred in have been some of the worst, imho.

Soldato
Thanks for linking the peer reviewed version, just had a read through.

You're right that it is a specific scenario however my conclusion from reading it is that ultimately the scenarios are:
1) Pull request acceptance as part of an org/being an owner.
2) Pull request acceptance as an outsider.

In the second scenario, from the data, being identifiable to be a woman leads you have a lesser acceptance rate than being identified as a man or gender neutral. For me, that's quite disappointing. The rest of the paper as I understood it is more about filtering, and whether the bias can be explained away (are women making easier changes like formatting html, smaller (easier to review/less bugs) changes, filing pull requests against specific issues compared to non issues or non roadmap items).

If you don't think it is specifically a gender issue, is there any specific filters you would have like to have seen that the researchers didn't do?

Btw, I'm just a developer not a researcher, so this is just my understanding of the paper, definitely not proclaiming that my opinion of the research is perfect.

From my (admittidely fairly limited) understanding of code, i think there is a lot of variables involved in deciding whether code is accepted. I also think a lot of these variables are quite subjective. This makes it incredibly difficult to pinpoint why there is such a difference.

The other issue is that the researcher has assumed that code reviewer is aware of the gender of person who wrote the code.

Caporegime
No one posted re: this story, I'll add it in here, it's been mentioned in Johnathan Pie's latest video too:

The writer of Father Ted has had a police warning for referring to a trans person as "he" and brining up their previous name/identity on twitter... during a twitter spat over his stance re: the current conflict between trans rights/self identity and feminism within the LGBT movement.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture...stephanie-hayden-transgender-activist-twitter

Linehan, who is also known for writing The IT Crowd and co-writing Black Books, defended his stance of referring to Hayden as “he”, adding: “I will call all of my trans friends ‘she’. I think of them as women, they are respectful and are not misogynists. But I refuse to respect the pronouns of misogynists.”

The writer said Hayden had posted details of his wife’s business. On Friday he locked his Twitter account citing “abuse and harassment”.

In the same tweet, Linehan highlighted a petition he had signed calling on Stonewall, an LGBT charity, to acknowledge the conflict that exists between “transgenderism and sex-based women’s rights”.

The petition calls for a respectful debate on the issue, and contends that Stonewall is failing to recognise the diversity of viewpoints on transgender issues, including among LGBT people.

Back
Top Bottom