1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAID 5 Whoopsie...

Discussion in 'Servers and Enterprise Solutions' started by Amraam, Oct 8, 2019.

1. b00merang69

Hitman

I had 2x 4TB RED's in Raid 1 (2 Bay ext E-SATA/Caddy), ran out of space and wanted more speed to feed the internal SSD's so added 2 more RED's (4 Bay ext E-SATA/Caddy) for Raid 10 so twice the Capacity/Speed).

Not had issues with either but I did pull one HDD from the 2 Bay once to test if it would still be readable in Windows as some are not but it was fine and then I wiped the single HDD and tested if it would rebuild back in the bay and it did but took overnight.

I would never even dream of using Raid 5/6 etc they are not worth using today.

2. Amraam

Mobster

Yup, and I've learned my lesson. All my data is gone. Whilst I could take it to a pro and probably get some back, it's not life critical that I do so I'll not bother and chalk it up to user (me) stupidity. No more RAID for me, as I don't really need it and of course rely on backups! I'm probably going to rely on cloud storage from now on, and if I do look to build a plex server then I'll just house my movies on a some 1TB SSDs when they become cheap.

3. Armageus

Don

RAID 6 still has it's place imo - currently looking at it for our CCTV Storage (as we presently run multiple RAID 0 disk shelves), space is of a priority, so RAID10 not really an option. RAID6 will at least tolerate a failure (or 2) and at least allow the array to stay up long enough to copy the data elsewhere.

4. b00merang69

Hitman

True.