Raid Questions

Associate
Would it be possible to run 2x500GB hard drives in Raid if there are different makes/models?

I currently have 1 x WD Black
1 x Samsung HD501LJ (F1 i think)
then a 120GB and a 160GB used for general back-ups of files.

I was wondering if i could set up the two 500GB drives in RAID1 (the one where one drive can fail and the other will still work??)

Any help would be good :)

Associate
OP
I dont have back ups of anything. I only use about 3-400GB of space and 100GB of that is films that are on another HDD anyway.

I was hoping i could put the two 500GB drives into some sort of backup system...

Have one as "my documents" and the other making a complete copy of it or something?

Associate
OP
Right so nightly back ups seem to be the best bet.

Can i do this...

Use my 160GB as boot/OS drive (vista/7)
then have the "my documents" and all my "files" stored on one of the 500GB's then the other being an exact copy?

So when i click on my documents, it opens the documnets from the 500GB not the 160GB?

So when i boot from either OS, i get the same documents...

Am i making any sense? :p

Associate
OP
tweakui is for XP?

Im going bed now, if you could do some kind of step by step guide to setting up my drives, that would be great.

I will be formatting the 160GB tomorrow and partitioning it 80GB partitions and installing Vista on one and 7 on the other.

Then ill copy all my data to my Samsung 500GB and whipe the WD Black and set that as "my Documents"

Then ill move all my documents onto the WD and whipe the sammy again.

Then i need some good (free) software to schedule nightly backups of the WD 500GB to the sammy 500GB

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Okay, ive partitioned my 160GB (actually 149GB) hard drive into 74.5GB and 74.5GB and installed Windows 7 onto the first partition.

How do i set "my documents" and "my desktop" and all my personal things to store onto D drive?

Associate
OP
Ive moved the location of my doumnets to D and it works fine.

But, i forgot to set up subfolders in D, so the whole of the drive is My documents.

I wanted to have the complete contents of "ryan" (my account) ie pictures, videos and music etc on D:

Im not bothered about software etc, i was hoping to just have all my documents the same for both os and have them backed up at the same time.

I tried moving My documents back to its original place but it wont let it, something to do with access denied?

I might just whipe D and the partition and start again :p

Associate
OP
Sorted the Documents, all based on D now.

Which would be the best program to use to weekly/daily copy/delete my files.

So i want the two 500GBs to have identical information on, if i delete off one, it deletes off the other...

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom