Rail fares rise above inflation rate.

Soldato
tbh I find it hard to have any sympathy, motorists and airline passengers contribute to the tax coffers, rail passengers cost the taxpayer money

So u think its fair i have to pay around £13 to go from hinckley to leicester return... Its a 10km journey

Soldato
at this rate it will be cheaper to get a taxi between slough and reading. it was already £7.70 for an adult single so it'll probably be something like £8.20 now for a fifteen minute train journey :mad:

*edit*
whats that thing where you've effectively got a wing type parachute open and a giant fan strapped to your back and you can fly along? with trains becoming ridiculously priced, taxis well out of the question and car insurance for me in the millions* it might end up being cheaper :p

*ok, over £1k per month on my dads 2L mondeo

Last edited:
Soldato
I guess my question would be why are these flat rises allowed when, as far as I can see the companies are not able to prove they are increasing efficiency or proving real running savings or improvements year on year? I.e why are we in a position where these systems even need to be subsidised.

I'm not a regular train passenger but when I have had to use services in the past, particularly scotrail the level of service offered is frankly shocking - staff are nothing but rude (in the majority) and the services are chopped and changed with little notice - these are the things that really annoy customers.

Complain and you'll get the standard set of free vouchers - great except nothing is done about the service, either at a customer facing level or apparently in overall efficiency.

I'd be willing to bet there are many european models of how these kind of transport systems could and should be run at either a cost neutral position or small profit. If there aren't then we've come up with some frankly crap methods of transport!

I'm a regular user of Scotrail, and I find the service to generally be on time, the staff polite and courteous and the trains to be clean and comfortable.

When services are changed, they either give adequate forewarning or they are able to give you advice through the speaker phones at unmanned stations.

Soldato
I'm a regular user of Scotrail, and I find the service to generally be on time, the staff polite and courteous and the trains to be clean and comfortable.

When services are changed, they either give adequate forewarning or they are able to give you advice through the speaker phones at unmanned stations.

Can I ask where in general you use them? I've been quote honestly amazed at thepoor aattitude of staff in and around glasgow any time I've had to ask for anything or there are problems with services.

When I was using yje train more I had no real issue with there being the occasional cancelled train or delay - more the ineptitude ans poor attitude when it did. She who must be obeyed still reports the same issues

Associate
Why is there such a divide here of the "us" and "them"?

I suffer the same costs as most for a car, and I also use the train for the longer commutes.

It's not the people who use the trains that is a problem, yet the attitude here suggests that because someone uses the train it is their fault?

Given the state of our rail, it could be half the price it is now and still be woeful for the costs. I think people do have the right to complain when we see other countries with much better systems than ours that cost a fraction of what ours do.

Soldato
For me the issue is that the government is spending more now to subsidise for-profit companies than it did when the network was publically owned (even when taking into account inflation, additional investment etc).

So from my point of view; prices are rising, subsidies are increasing, the trains are becoming more crowded and punctuality isn't improving.

Are there any figures to back this up?

As if this is the case, then it's a shocking indictment on the privatisation of the national rail system.

Given the state of our rail, it could be half the price it is now and still be woeful for the costs. I think people do have the right to complain when we see other countries with much better systems than ours that cost a fraction of what ours do.

This is what upsets people the most, we do seem to have one of the most expensive rail systems in Europe, and by all accounts it is poor in comparison.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
This is what upsets people the most, we do seem to have one of the most expensive rail systems in Europe, and by all accounts it is poor in comparison.

Is it actually more expensive or is it just that the costs are hidden via taxation in other countries? Are you happy to pay more tax so that fares are cheaper? Do you think those people who live in areas with little public transport provision would be happy to pay more taxes to reduce fares?

Soldato
I've never really had a problem with rail pricing, but I see that many people do. I only used to use it mainly on a Friday and Sunday from Elgin to Newcastle and back. I used to get a first class single ticket on Friday for £28 which was awesome for 300 miles.

Permabanned
shocking, I wouldnt mind if trains actually turned up when they should, were big enough for the amount of passengers on that route, I mean why the hell should I pay nearly £40 a day to get into London, and have stand in the carriage like a sardine

Soldato
Is it actually more expensive or is it just that the costs are hidden via taxation in other countries? Are you happy to pay more tax so that fares are cheaper? Do you think those people who live in areas with little public transport provision would be happy to pay more taxes to reduce fares?

I live in one of the areas with poor public transport provision, and is it just about throwing more money at it?

If it is the case we are spending more out of taxation now than when it was public *and* the prices are so much higher, then obviously something is not working as it should. The whole point to privatisation is to create a more efficient overall cost effective system, which does not seem to be happening.

But to answer your question in broad strokes, yes I would be happy to pay more tax to have and provide national services under national control and I dont even use the trains :) but then again I'm not one of the selfish people that only think of looking after myself and my own wallet...

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Are there any figures to back this up?

As if this is the case, then it's a shocking indictment on the privatisation of the national rail system.

It is true yes. By quite some margin. In real terms British rail received less than 50% of the subsidy todays private companies receive.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;22564559 said:
It is true yes. By quite some margin. In real terms British rail received less than 50% of the subsidy todays private companies receive.

really? thats interesting, well we all know the extra dosh from fares and subsidies is going into fat cat bosses and shareholders to maintain profits

Soldato

I'm sure that if people actually saw any benefit from an increase in taxes (or in fact any benefit from the current taxes) they wouldn't actually mind. However unfortunately currently the government seems intent on wasting our money on sending money (and jobs) to India, declaring war on the Middle East, paying for Shazza and Wayne's drug habit, and hosting an over hyped sports day...

Soldato
I'm sure that if people actually saw any benefit from an increase in taxes (or in fact any benefit from the current taxes) they wouldn't actually mind. However unfortunately currently the government seems intent on wasting our money on sending money (and jobs) to India, declaring war on the Middle East, paying for Shazza and Wayne's drug habit, and hosting an over hyped sports day...

As part of the 90% of the population that don't use the trains I wouldn't want to pay more in tax to support something that is mainly there for corporate types who already earn far above the average wage and are trying to have it both ways by living somewhere cheap whilst working somewhere that pays more.

JUST LIVE CLOSER TO WHERE YOU WORK! All these people who "commute to London" for example, why not just go and live in London? You can't take the higher than average salaries available there whilst enjoying the lower living costs of living outside London. Well you can but don't moan when fares go up.

Soldato
2 years ago I could get home from uni and back with a rail card for £25 with super off peak.
This year it was nearly £10 more.

Pretty soon travel is going to be a luxury for the rich.
Motoring is unaffordable for a lot of people, the bus prices in my home down for a monthly pass is double what it was 5 years ago, flyings getting more expensive.
Coach is about the only cheapish option left and even then it's not that cheap.

Back
Top Bottom