RAM for "old" Z77x-UD5H Required

Soldato
Hello,

After checking my RAM (Below) I've noticed that one stick is bad, is it worth buying the same RAM (£65 for one stick) or should I get 16GB of new faster RAM, will I actually notice any real world difference, or have a better chance of Overclocking, currently at 4.2 but not tried any faster?

MB: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-UD5H-rev-10#ov

RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz C10 XMP

Cheers,

Soldato
OP
I'll look into that thanks... Pretty sure I bought it from here...

Failing that am I best just buying a new stick, the same or selling the decent one I have and getting quicker?

Soldato
OP
No surprise but I require the original invoice. I purchased the RAM from a competitor that has since gone into administration and don't have a paper copy. . Any suggestions?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestion and its a good one, but I'm sure I paid on my Debit Card (Barclays) and my statements only go back three years or so...The RAM was purchased around 2012...

Lesson learn't, keep a copy of the invoice :)

Man of Honour
try and post on the corsair forums and see if their community team would help.
failing that, then get a set of 2nd hand ram...preferably off the MM as it's cheaper
at this point in time, it's crazy to buy DDR3 ram new, seeing as it's dead-end tech

or have a better chance of Overclocking, currently at 4.2 but not tried any faster?
ivy-bridge will hit 4.4/4.5 with adequate cooling (more if you have a golden chip), ram has nothing to do with cpu clocks

getting quicker?
sweet spot is ~2000/2133 c10. if you're going to get another set, then get 2400 c11.
avg fps won't increase much, but minimum fps will, so games will feel smoother as hopefully the frame stutters will be minimised
(some chips may not get that high, depending on the IMC within the CPU)

Associate
Think I have 8GB (2x4GB) of 1600MHz GSkill knocking about at home. I have no use for it anymore.

I'll have a rummage tomorrow (stuck at, and staying at work tonight) and drop you a line. If I've still got it, and 8GB is acceptable to you, you can have it!

EDIT Also vaguely remember buying some 2667MHz Teamgroup stuff, quite possibly 16GB worth, but again, that will involve a rummage.

I'll get back to you!

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice, I've got some DDR 3 from the MM, I'll try the corsair forum as well...

The PC is powerful enough for me at the moment, especially with the price of DDR 4 just doesn't seem worth upgrading presently .. (although I'd obviously like to!)

Back
Top Bottom