Ram for Synology 718+

Soldato
Evening, could someone please recommend me some ram to add to a Synology 718+.

Thanks!

edit: Forgot to mention it currently just has the ram that came with it, 2GB of DDR3.

Permabanned
get the part number of the stick included and buy a matching stick.
NAS's are known to be a pain in the ass when adding ram. How much ram do you feel you need and for what use case?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for your input but that's not right. It has 2 slots, and officially recommends adding a 4GB to the existing 2GB. Unofficially it supports up to 8GB in each and I was hoping someone here had experience of that.

I only received the NAS a few days ago and I'm still figuring out what it does and what I'll be using it for.

Permabanned
what is the spec of the stick fitted? then buy a matching spec in the size needed
is it ECC? low voltage? 1333mhz 1600mhz and so on.

when i said buying a matching stick because that the best option, i mean in the size needed.
if you want to run 2 x 8gb buy the same spec ram but in 8gb sticks.

dont buy some kingston beast 2666mhz thinkihng it will work because the chance is it wont.

Permabanned
so its low voltage ddr3 @ 1866mhz, only the part number will tell you if its ECC or not
How ever ECC SODIMM is super expensive, i can see them using that.

pop it only and look for the brand and look for the same spec in Xgb size

eg: if you have "crucial ddr3l-1866 sodimm 2gb" BUY > "crucial ddr3l-1866 sodimm 8gb"

Soldato
OP
Voltage is 1.35v I think. I haven't opened the box yet.

On the Synology website they say only one slot is accessible, that's why it mentions 2 different sized sticks. But there's plenty of evidence of people adding 2 8GB sticks.

Soldato
OP
I just installed them. Looks like they are working ok. Memory now idles at 2% rather than between 16% and 20%.

Was fairly easy to take apart, I might replace the fan for a quieter one next.

Soldato
OP
if your running it 24/7, that would be a good mod.

I have it on for around 15 hours a day, for when I'm home and when I'm having dialysis. And the hdd's go into hibernation after 1 hour of inactivity. When I get a new PC, and take apart my current one, I'll have 8 fans to look at and see if they're better than the current one. I think they are a mix of Akasa Vipers And Fractals.

Great news, it is a fairly painless process tbh. :)

Yep wasn't hard at all, glad I've done it. Can look into running some virtual machines now.

Associate
Thanks for your input but that's not right. It has 2 slots, and officially recommends adding a 4GB to the existing 2GB. Unofficially it supports up to 8GB in each and I was hoping someone here had experience of that.

I only received the NAS a few days ago and I'm still figuring out what it does and what I'll be using it for.
Makes a fantastic Plex server - I have been using it to stream to my 55" OLED and its perfect

Soldato
OP
Makes a fantastic Plex server - I have been using it to stream to my 55" OLED and its perfect

I've been streaming to my Sony Bravia via the basic File Station and it works a treat. I also use the web based Audio and Video Station when I'm having dialysis, that works good/okish depending on whereabouts I am in the ward. Mobile internet speeds vary from one end of the building to the other.

Back
Top Bottom