RAM Issue.

tnx

tnx

Associate
My son updated his rig this weekend and gave me his old bits which are roughly two years old.
His old rig consists of Asus Z170 Pro Gamer. 16gb RAM ( 2x8) and a i7 6700K.

I built this rig from new, all parts he ordered from OCUK. Everything was running smooth and dandy.
I bought my self the Asus TUF Z270 after getting wind of his imminent update.
This included 4 gb RAM and a Celeron, just to have the board up and running.

After completing his new build on Saturday i took his old rig apart. Put the i7 and RAM into my TUF Z270.

urrrr It did not boot ?? mmmm.

The board told me it was a RAM issue. So I took out the 16GB RAM and slung my 4gb stick back in..All ok and it booted.

Tryed again with the 16GB. Nothing. Cleared CMOS and still nothing.

So I tried each stick in turn in each slot.
Stick 1 worked in each slot.
Stick 2 did NOT work any any slot. ( marked stick with tape)

So I put the Celeron into the Z170 Pro Gamer along with the 4GB stick. Booted no problem.
Tried the 16GB sticks. Would not boot.
Again tried each stick in turn in each slot.
Stick 1 worked in each slot.
Stick 2 did NOT work in any slot.

I take it from my testing that for what ever reason stick 2 has died. I have no idea why this would suddenly happen.

Has anybody got any ideas..

I got my son to look through his OCUK orders and he found he had bought it in 2016.
On the site though it shows it has a life time warranty. Is this the actual case.

Does my son have a good case to have OCUK check out this RAM kit and possibly get a replacement ?

He has in fact contacted OCUK via a web mail thing. I though it wouldn't hurt to ask for help on here.

any tips, thoughts would be great..

cheers...

Any staff got any thoughts ?

Soldato
Stick 2 does indeed seem dead. I would think after 2 years your RMA would have to be with the manufacturer and not OCUK but they will clear all that up for you im sure.

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
Stick 2 does indeed seem dead. I would think after 2 years your RMA would have to be with the manufacturer and not OCUK but they will clear all that up for you im sure.

Any ideas what would cause this to suddenly happen ?

Hopefully OCUK will help out. We'll soon find out.

Soldato
Any ideas what would cause this to suddenly happen ?

Hopefully OCUK will help out. We'll soon find out.

Might have been electrostatic discharge, but that sort of damage is far rarer than people would have you believe.

Perhaps the psu still had some charge when the ram was removed, perhaps it was knocked in transit, perhaps a dry solder joint bailed when removing it. Who knows man, but lifetime should mean lifetime so hopefully you’re good.

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
The Web Mail thingy that my son sent to OCUK stated because of the age he would have to contact Kingston. This is the next step.

Cheers for the input.

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
My son just posted off to Kingston the faulty RAM. It is meant to be getting checked out and a replacement kit sent.

Hopefully a new kit will land very soon.

Associate
I was going to say maybe your motherboard was locked at weird timings and didnt change or e.c.t but yeah this sounds cool then...

tnx

tnx

Associate
OP
Well you simply can not knock Kingston. After over two years of usage they sent my son a new kit.

It is now in my TUF Z270 working nicely.

Thank you Kingston.

Back
Top Bottom