RAM not at usual speed

Associate
TL;DR
Been playing a lot of warzone, it crashed once and my PC has never been the same since and my RAM is saying its running at 1600MHz in cpu-z yet they're 3200MHz sticks and have been running at that since i built the system.

Specs
Corsair 2x16gb Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte 1070

So a couple weeks back me and a friend had a long old warzone session and at the end of the night my warzone crashed, i didn't think much of it even though that was the first time it had properly crashed as it was 5am i decided to shut down and head to bed.

a couple days later i tried to play again and the game kept crashing, not loading textures and causing my PC to blue screen which i thought was very strange, did the usual scan and repair blah blah blah and nothing was working so i decided to move it to a different HDD as my M.2 bootdrive only had 25gb of space left and i'd heard that apparently that can cause problems. after moving it to a different HDD it was exactly the same, not loading textures and whatnot.

I deleted and decided to re download the game, i was going out and my friend asked me to use my PC to do some Uni work so i thought i could leave the game downloading while she worked, a few hours later she phoned saying that my PC had crashed and she needed the password to get back in. the PC worked fine for the rest of the time she was using it when it was NOT downloading Warzone.

I decided to go back and try downloading it again, and again it crashed my pc after a few hours. what i noticed was that it crashed after it had downloaded about 28-30gb of the game and i have 32gb of RAM... now i don't know if i'm talking out my arse (i probably am) but is it possible that the games downloading to RAM and its not offloading to the HDD?

Either way i ran the windows memory check tool which came back and said there was a problem. so i thought i would run Memtest86 but for some reason i can't get into the BIOS or the boot drive screen. i can get to the screen with the Aorus logo and what buttons to press for which menu but it won't register i'm pressing delete to get into the Bios.

i tried putting my keyboard into different USB ports to no avail. do i have to put the keyboard into a different USB before booting or does that not make a difference?

Either way i can't figure this out, its properly stumped me so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Soldato
TL;DR
Been playing a lot of warzone, it crashed once and my PC has never been the same since and my RAM is saying its running at 1600MHz in cpu-z yet they're 3200MHz sticks and have been running at that since i built the system.

Specs
Corsair 2x16gb Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz
Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
Gigabyte 1070

So a couple weeks back me and a friend had a long old warzone session and at the end of the night my warzone crashed, i didn't think much of it even though that was the first time it had properly crashed as it was 5am i decided to shut down and head to bed.

a couple days later i tried to play again and the game kept crashing, not loading textures and causing my PC to blue screen which i thought was very strange, did the usual scan and repair blah blah blah and nothing was working so i decided to move it to a different HDD as my M.2 bootdrive only had 25gb of space left and i'd heard that apparently that can cause problems. after moving it to a different HDD it was exactly the same, not loading textures and whatnot.

I deleted and decided to re download the game, i was going out and my friend asked me to use my PC to do some Uni work so i thought i could leave the game downloading while she worked, a few hours later she phoned saying that my PC had crashed and she needed the password to get back in. the PC worked fine for the rest of the time she was using it when it was NOT downloading Warzone.

I decided to go back and try downloading it again, and again it crashed my pc after a few hours. what i noticed was that it crashed after it had downloaded about 28-30gb of the game and i have 32gb of RAM... now i don't know if i'm talking out my arse (i probably am) but is it possible that the games downloading to RAM and its not offloading to the HDD?

Either way i ran the windows memory check tool which came back and said there was a problem. so i thought i would run Memtest86 but for some reason i can't get into the BIOS or the boot drive screen. i can get to the screen with the Aorus logo and what buttons to press for which menu but it won't register i'm pressing delete to get into the Bios.

i tried putting my keyboard into different USB ports to no avail. do i have to put the keyboard into a different USB before booting or does that not make a difference?

Either way i can't figure this out, its properly stumped me so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Try taking the battery out of motherboard leave out for 10 mins make sure psu is unplugged then reinsert battery and try to see if that sorts it

Associate
OP
Okay so i'm more concerned now that i cant access the BIOS, i tried removing the CMOS Battery and left it out for a good 30 minutes and after putting it back in all that's changed is the colours of my LED's... i can't run a memtest til i can actually change boot drives and access the bios etc etc..

Associate
OP
I don't have access to a spare GPU but for some reason i managed to get into the bios with my TV plugged in... i have no idea why but i managed to run a memtest and it failed spectacularly. see image.. it came up with 10336 errors so im going to be talking to Corsair as the sticks are still in warranty. unfortunately im on furlough so having no pc for as long as it takes to get new sticks is going to suck.
script>

https://imgur.com/a/SmsIzQS

Soldato
I don't have access to a spare GPU but for some reason i managed to get into the bios with my TV plugged in... i have no idea why but i managed to run a memtest and it failed spectacularly. see image.. it came up with 10336 errors so im going to be talking to Corsair as the sticks are still in warranty. unfortunately im on furlough so having no pc for as long as it takes to get new sticks is going to suck.
script>

https://imgur.com/a/SmsIzQS
well technically you could buy some and abuse the 14 day return window.

Associate
OP
well technically you could buy some and abuse the 14 day return window.
thats definitely an option, i'm going to wait on corsair to get back to me about whether i have to return both sticks or just the faulty one, which i've still got to figure out. thinking i'm going to try run memtest with only one stick in and see if only one of them returns errors.

Soldato
thats definitely an option, i'm going to wait on corsair to get back to me about whether i have to return both sticks or just the faulty one, which i've still got to figure out. thinking i'm going to try run memtest with only one stick in and see if only one of them returns errors.
I'm guessing it will be both if it came as a kit.

Associate
I’ve got some Corsair memory that is playing silly buggers with warzone. Uses a load of memory and crashes. Tried memtest but wouldn’t run it and it doesn’t matter what I set in bios it runs at 2133mhz.

Back
Top Bottom