Ram not showing correct mhz

Associate
how do you change your ram to run at the right speed, don’t laugh but it’s only ddr3 (4 x 8gb) 32gb total. 1600mhz but only showing 1333mhz.

for some reason when I turn pc on it doesn’t get to the bios screen, is there any other way to get to the bios to change the ram speed?

thanks

Associate
Your memory may be rated for 1600MHz but your motherboard may well default to a more relaxed speed (ie 1333MHz). In order to run your memory at 1600MHz you would need to start overclocking but, as you have 4 sticks of memory, I doubt it would be very stable as 4 sticks of memory is never a very good option to start with.
Additionally, if you have an Intel CPU then memory speed is not much of an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I had 16gb on it running 1600mhz, got new ram to make it 32gb. Previously it was 4x8gb 1600 sticks.

the motherboard is a P8Z77-V Deluxe, apart from the new ram, i know it’s a very old pc and I should just know what I’m thinking and finally do a full replacement new build.

Soldato
how do you change your ram to run at the right speed, don’t laugh but it’s only ddr3 (4 x 8gb) 32gb total. 1600mhz but only showing 1333mhz.

for some reason when I turn pc on it doesn’t get to the bios screen, is there any other way to get to the bios to change the ram speed?

thanks
From AnandTech Forums

To get into the BIOS in this state disconnect ALL USB devices, except the keyboard. Put the keyboard in a USB2 port. Make sure to disconnect the power completely, simply shutting down is not enough. You have to disconnect power physically from the wall outlet. There is a power indicator on the board, make sure it isn't lighted... and it might require a few tries...

Associate

thanks
Have you looked at your motherboards QVL list to see what speed the system will run with 32gigs of RAM?

Some motherboards will only do a slower speed with higher capacity RAM for compatibility reasons.

Back
Top Bottom