RAM speed and fps

Caporegime
Is it only with Ryzen where you see the 10fps or so increase between 2400mhz and 3200mhz? I'm using a 5820k at the moment on 16GB, 2400mhz, Corsair Dominator Plats with pretty low timings 10-12-12-28-1T. Gaming at 4K and just wondering if memory is an area I could boost my frames in.

Soldato
Maybe very slightly but given the price of ram it doesn't make any sense to upgrade ... If building a new system why not... but not if you already have ram.

Associate
I think i remember LinusTechTips doing a full on test with an array of games and even workloads with multiple core loads and the benchmarks peaked using 3200mhz ram and anything above was either no difference at all or in fact a little worse for some odd reason. All tests were via an intel sytem, but even below 3200mhz, there is very, very little that extra memory speed has to offer for most people. In the real world, nobody notices milliseconds.

Last edited:
Associate
RAM is so much more efficient than 90% of hardware. The gains from purchasing faster memory is seldom as dramatic as the price increases. Games don't really challenge a decent quantity of RAM, though you do suffer immensely if you don't have enough.

16GB is enough.

Back
Top Bottom