Ram that can only be used on overclocked settings.

Associate
im currently building a system that uses an amd AM5 processor and ddr5 ram on a gigabyte x670 x gaming ax motherboard.

I have a query regarding how to install memory modules that can only be used while the system has been overclocked.

currently im trying to install 64GB (2x32GB) Kingston Fury DDR5 5600 MT/s modules on this board.

the board does support this speed of memory but it is noted on their website that the system needs to be overclocked (maximum compatible DDR speed for normal clock is 5200MT/s)

How do i go about this if the system wont even boot with this system in its standard default clock speeds?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yes i have but i keep getting memory error light.

i feel like the only way to use this memory is to buy slower compatible sticks just so i can enter the bios.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Have you flashed the board to the latest bios? It has Q-Flash plus so you don't even have to have anything installed in the board to flash it. All you need to do is download the bios and unzip it to a usb stick. Plug the usb stick into the Q-flash plus port on the rear I/O panel and press the Q-Flash plus button. The instructions should be in your manual. There have been several bios releases since launch, many of which contain memory compatibility fixes so may fix your problem.

The system doesn't need to be overclocked before you insert the memory. What it actually means is that the memory will run at it's default speed until you enable XMP (or whatever AMD's equivalent is) and then the memory will be running at it's full speed. This is where the overclock bit comes in as the memory will in effect be overclocked as it's higher than the boards official 5200mhz default.

Soldato
Even though you are getting a memory error light that doesn't necessarily mean your RAM is the issue, it could be that the boards BIOS isn't configured for your particular RAM, the CMOS hasn't been cleared or it could even be the CPU isn't seated properly and the CPU's memory controller isn't functioning properly, or you haven't got the RAM in the required slots (your motherboard manual will tell you what slots to use for single DIMM / dual DIMM).

Soldato
On first boot the board should be attempting the slower JEDEC profile (the "stock" speed). The overclock the motherboard is talking about is the EXPO/XMP speed you enable in BIOS (the advertised RAM speed).

As well as the other recommended steps how long have you left it to boot? On the first boot with these AM5 boards you may have to wait a fair good few minutes, I had to wait for around 5 or so before it actually showed anything on screen. Turned on EXPO, long boot there too (but not as long) and any other booting after that was more normal.

Associate
OP
yeeeeah i was worried something was wrong so i switched it off almost straight away everytime.

waited a few minutes and it booted up fine.

thanks guys.

Associate
OP
Done that after getting it working this morning (already had the usb set up at work last night)

the list of changes on nearly every new release was "improve memory compatibility" so probably worth it.

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom