Random freezing

Associate
Hi all

I've been running an i5-2500k on Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3 (ATX) for a few years. Recently downsized into the Corsair Air 240 so had to replace the motherboard, found a used Z77 Pro4-M (MATX). Everything else is kept the same (CPU, RAM, CPU cooler, PSU, SSD, HDD's, etc).

I've been experiencing crashes since I did this, and I have a feeling I've been snubbed with a faulty motherboard, but before I re-fit the whole thing I wanted to get thoughts in case it could be something else.

Symptoms;
1) suddenly freezes (indefinitely until I press reset or power button)
2) sudden BSOD with hardware failure message followed by restart
3) sometimes (rarely) the audio makes a long screeching noise for about 5 seconds, seems to get slower and slower, then everything either freezes or BSOD's
4) this seems to happen even when idle, sometimes fine for a number of hours, sometimes after a few minutes of bootup
5) it seems more likely to happen when I'm downloading torrents or running Plex - makes me wonder if HDD related, but I've since moved my torrents/plex to a brand new 3TB HDD and it still happens (the old 3TB HDD is still in the system but now holds my dropbox, docs/pics etc)

I've double-checked all the cables and ram are properly fitted and also done a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro x64 (on my 500GB Samsung 850 Pro).

Any thoughts?

Chairs!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So I ran the BIOS update (Windows utility) and the damn thing BSOD'd half way through. The whole system would power up but no USB power or display (tried both GPU and onboard via DVI and HDMI).

I've just gone and put everything back into my old case and Z68 ATX mobo - and no crashes! (so far)

Now to try get this fleebay gimp to take the board back :mad: :mad:

Soldato
So I ran the BIOS update (Windows utility) and the damn thing BSOD'd half way through. The whole system would power up but no USB power or display (tried both GPU and onboard via DVI and HDMI).

I've just gone and put everything back into my old case and Z68 ATX mobo - and no crashes! (so far)

Now to try get this fleebay gimp to take the board back :mad: :mad:

Good luck with that pal :D

Hate people who sell naff products knowingly. Ofc he may well have not known / had these issues himself so best be polite either way bud :D

Soldato
Even though it looks like yours is motherboard related I had similar and it turned out to be a hard drive failing.... went through all the checks, even went as far as getting the manufacturer software and it all said it was alright but one day it just gave up on me. I haven't had an issue since (touch wood), funnily enough it wasn't the drive I was expecting it to be either.

Back
Top Bottom