i7 8700k
EVGA FTW3 1080ti
bitfenix Formula 650w PSU
16bg ram @2400 Mhz
b360 Motherboard
1tb HDD
240g SSD
3 120 mm fans

I seem to be losing power during gaming sessions, not always after a long time either. For example - Total Warhammer 2 certain campaign missions just cause the PC to reboot as soon as I select them, but other times If I avoid that mission I can play fine for 3/4 hours +. I've tried lowering the graphics settings (can sustain 144 fps @ 1440p on high just fine) to low across the board and doesn't seem to make much difference. Have also experienced it with Vermintide 2 but that seems to be more random and generally after a few hours in game.

Temps on everything are fine when I check them immediately after the reboots - graphics card 40-60 (at most), cpu similar, ram similar etc.

System just full reboots as If i'd clicked the restart button without warning. My immediate thought is PSU but it's 9 months old and realistically the wattage should be completely fine. I do have a 2k monitor but not sure if that would affect anything? Anybody got any ideas? Would love some advice or help diagnosing!

Man of Honour
That gpu of yours can be a real power hog, even more so when overclocked. How are you powering it, one cable with both connectors or a pair of seperate cables with a single connector? If it's just the one cable with both connectors try swapping to a pair of seperate cables with just the 1st connector. Several people have found this can cure power problems and it's the preferred way of powering a power hungry card. The psu itself should be more than enough, especially as you can't overclock the cpu.

How come you choose a B360 motherboard for a 8700k which is a unlocked cpu? You can't overclock it on that board so it's a strange choice.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure as OCUK built this one for me! Is there an easy way to tell whether one cable has been used or two by looking at the gpu? Can get you pics if it'll help but not sure how to post them on here.

Went for this mobo for two reasons; 1) ran out of money as went for a 2k gsync monitor and 2) didn't plan to overlock the i7 for a while as hasn't really needed it for the games I'm playing (which is the only demanding thing I use the system for), by which time I'd upgrade the MOBO in theory.

Man of Honour
Take the side panel off and if you see a single cable going from the psu that then splits into 2 before plugging into the gpu and you have a single cable. For two cables you would see two seperate cables going from the psu to the gpu. That card can pull over 330w by itself so I would definately want a pair of seperate cables powering it. Your psu has a pair of seperate pci-e leads each with a pair of 6+2 pin connectors on the end. The distance from the psu to the main pci-e plug is 570mm. You then have a 150mm extension coming off the main plug to the second pci-e plug. If that is how yours is setup then I would disconnect the 150mm extension and try to tuck it out of sight somewhere and find the second pci-e lead. Your psu has all of it's cables hardwired so it will probably be tucked away behind the motherboard tray (just remove the rear case panel and all the spare cables should be there) unless your case is one of those ones with a built in psu shroud in which case the spare cables may be in that. When you find the second pci-e lead plug the main connector into the second socket on the gpu. The reasoning behind this thinking is that power hungry cards may not be able to get enough power from a single cable sp spreading it over two makes a lot of sense. In your case it makes even more sense because your psu is a quad 12v rail design and the two beefiest rails are 12v3 and 12v4 which has 30amps on each, both of which are for your two seperate pci-e cables.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Thanks for the reply!

I'm not sure as OCUK built this one for me! Is there an easy way to tell whether one cable has been used or two by looking at the gpu? Can get you pics if it'll help but not sure how to post them on here.

Went for this mobo for two reasons; 1) ran out of money as went for a 2k gsync monitor and 2) didn't plan to overlock the i7 for a while as hasn't really needed it for the games I'm playing (which is the only demanding thing I use the system for), by which time I'd upgrade the MOBO in theory.

bit strange that OC built it this way! an overclockable cpu on a non-overclockable mobo...

Back
Top Bottom