Random problems, help needed...

Soldato
Hi there,

Since boxing day 2022, my PC has suddenly started to misbehave.
Before then, it has been fully functioning fine. There have been no hardware changes, or software changes during all this time.

Problems occurring mostly in this order;
1 - (Gaming and sometimes in my daughter's Roblox session) Loss of video signal, and sound playing in the background (PC seems to have froze, as keyboard input has no effect on pausing a game)
2 - Realtek audio drivers fail on reboot. Switching to Windows HD Audio Drivers, gets sound back.
3 - Had a few BIOS "The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver" error on POST.

It's strange how it's all just happening since boxing day, with no system changes.

System is Windows 10,
Ryzen r7900x, Asus x570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI),
64gb RAM 3600mhz Teamgroup Black (4x ram kit)
GTX 1080
RM750w PSU.

Soldato
Are you on the latest non-beta BIOS?
Are you up to date with graphics drivers?
Is your Windows up to date?

Edit: have you got Afterburner (or similar) installed?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Are you on the latest non-beta BIOS?
Are you up to date with graphics drivers?
Is your Windows up to date?

Edit: have you got Afterburner (or similar) installed?

BIOS: 3303
GFX Drivers 527.56
Windows all up to date for Win 10.

No afterburner installed.

No new software was installed before the problems started to occur.

Man of Honour
Sounds like an automatic update of some kind may have borked things.

You didn't move your PC around at all (i.e. physically move it), did you?

Associate
After searching the error "The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver" - I found a few posts about this being an issue with Asus Motherboards. Copy and paste this into Google and hopefully you'll find a fix.

In regards to your other issues, check Device Manager to see if you find any warnings. For your Realtek driver and GPU.

Soldato
OP
After extensive research, the solution was to take off the heat sink off the GPU. Clean and then reapply the thermal paste. It's been behaving itself now.

Soldato
OP
I think you need to change your graphic card with a new one. I think that's one of the reason that effects sound on your PC.
It's on my list of things to do. I need to save up, and was planning to replace the 1080 later this year. If the quick and dirty fix gets me to later, then that's all good.

I bought a new house last year, so I have some other house things that need money first, It's not like GFX cards are £500 these days. I need to get something to drive a 4k TV/Monitor at a steady 60FPS.

Back
Top Bottom