Random reboot on old PC - what is dying?

Reluctance due to WC loop is understandable but after 10 years you have no idea what the paste is like under that block. Is your plan to never remove the cooling pipes?
Think you missed the info a bit earlier in the thread - I installed a new GPU recently and used it as a chance to drain and clean the entire build, including reseating of the CPU block.
Before and after I was running Furmark and other long term stability benchmarks without issues (temperature wise).

Think you missed the info a bit earlier in the thread - I installed a new GPU recently and used it as a chance to drain and clean the entire build, including reseating of the CPU block.
Before and after I was running Furmark and other long term stability benchmarks without issues (temperature wise).

I was thinking of updating the thread before Christmas with some findings and good news.. I run a Prime+Furmark stress test for probably 3 hours+ without issues and was feeling confident problem is gone..
A day or two later, I must have turned MK11 for like 5 min and got reboots again - I was furious..

However, I think I have moved closer to finding the culprit, however not the solution yet!
As most of you suggested, this is 99.99% related to the PSU.. however not for the reasons we all thought.
I've got one of the funky Corsair AX860i which is famous for this problem - random shutdowns and bootloops. This is a fairly widespread issue, where apparently the cable PCA is susceptible to bend under stress and some caps on the edges may be suffering minor disconnections on solder joints.

I've pinged Corsair a ticket and we will see what they propose here.
Interestingly enough - I had been testing things and re-routed the PSU cables a bit, making sure to give them plenty of slack and also where possible, used the centrally located sockets..
Since than I must have played WoT for 3+ hours without an issue, although neither GPU or CPU were particularly stressed (2K, maxed out settings..) so perhaps this means nothing yet.

Back
Top Bottom