random space gone missing new install

Associate
Hi, im just building a pc for a friend, have win7 prem 64bit installing onto crucial m4 64gb

i have formated drive before installing windows and instalation shows 54.5gb free space but yet when i install windows as per usual it shows im using around 30/35gb of space yet windows install folder is only showing around 12gb.

what is going on here??

Please hellllpp!!!

Ali

Associate
OP
they dont add up that quick on a fresh install 5 mins old, even my 1 yr old install isnt that big and thats got games and many programs installed.

the missing space is weird! like its using twice as much space but only showing half as installed

Associate
If on Windows7 you can find the paging file by:

right mouse click my computer
then advanced system settings
then click the advanced tab
then properties under then performance heading
then advanced again
then at the bottom it shows the paging size

Associate
OP
sorry i have just read an article on hibernation and page file! i didnt know it took so much space!
i have gained close to 20gb thanks to turning off hib and swapping page file to 2nd hdd.
with 16gb of ram i dont know if its needed although i read it bad not to have any.

thanks Ali

Soldato
There's another recent thread regarding paging files, especially with SSDs, and link within that thread about arguments for and against. I suggest reading both sides of the story. But that is the reason I asked... you have 16GB physical, MS is going to recommend (and probably use 16.1GB) for paging. Shut it down to 400MB and you'll be golden.

Back
Top Bottom