Random Windows 10 - kernel security check failure - Bluescreen

Associate
Hi All.

I recently upgraded my son's pc, and ever since it will randomly bluescreen with kernel security check failure.
When I say random it can happen several times in a day or go days without an issue.

OLD PC Specs

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 520W
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX2
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) SK Hynix DDR3 1600MHz (HMT351U6CFR8C-PB)
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1650 Super (ZT-T16510F-10L)
SSD1: 120GB WD Green SATA - WDS120G2G0A (C Drive - Windows)
SSD2: 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe via PCIe to NVMe Adapter (D Drive - Games)
Monitor1: HP 22w
Monitor2: HP 22w

NEW PC Specs

PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 520W
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B460-PLUS - Bios 1602
CPU: Intel i5-10400F @ Stock Speeds
Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3200MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1650 Super (ZT-T16510F-10L)
SSD1: 250GB PNY XLR8 CS3030 NVMe (C Drive - Windows)
SSD2: 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe (D Drive - Games)
Monitor1: HP 22w
Monitor2: HP 22w

At first I thought it may be a issue with windows as the boot hard drive was being used from the old setup, so the 120GB WD Green SATA SSD was replaced with the 250GB PNY XLR8 CS3030 NVMe and a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, and downloaded and installed all windows updates, latest nvidia drivers, reinstalled all required programs, etc.
The system seemed fine for two days then it bluescreened with kernel security check failure no less then four times in one day.
I then performed a motherboard bios upgrade from version 1401 to version 1602, and the system was stable for the best part of a week, but has again bluescreened with kernel security check failure.
As of yet I don't know exactly what it is that he is doing at the time of the bluescreen
My son does stream on twitch.tv, he streams things like, dead by daylight, dark souls, etc, not really what I would class as intense games.
CPU, GPU, Load and Temps seems to be in a sensible range while streaming.
I am not sure if he has had a bluescreen during a stream or not.
I've asked him to keep a log of when and what he is doing at the time of the bluescreen to try any narrow down the crashes.

I have tried with XMP disabled and enabled, both will still crash.
I have run memtest86 and that passes.

I am slowly running out of ideas.

I welcome any thoughts and suggestions

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Associate
I doubt it's Windows or any of the software.
But, I googled to see your error is well covered by many websites saying, for example, to use the windows built-in driver checker.

Is the PSU new? I know it's s nightmare as most of us dont have spare CPUs hsnging about to try with. Or know people happy to lend them. So hardware changing us last resort.

My last BSOD was with a usb3 hub that didn't get on with my intel motherboard. So I'm biased and suspect hardware or bios (uefi rather, these days). You can disable XMP, try running on one stick.of RAM or even loosen the memory timings to see if the problem recurs, or happens less. You can disable cpu acceleration, turn off C states etc too just to try to rule stuff out.

In Windows you can look at the logs (in event viewer) to see if there's a clue in there too.

It's a painful thing dealing with rarely occurring crashes. Keep the faith and continue to methodologically rule stuff out.

Sorry I don't have the fix right here for you :(

Associate
OP
denigor777:

Thank you for your reply.
The PSU is about 8-10 months old.
Not using any external USB hubs, but does have things like USB Mic, Stream Deck, etc.
All of the computer peripherals have not changed from the old computer system.
I have tried with XMP enable and disabled, still get random crashes.

It is not just the one type of error / blue screen, but a mix of the following:
Kernal_Security_Check_Failure
irql_not_less_or_equal
Resource_Not_Owned

The strange thing is that the crashes seem to happen when the system is basically at idle, watching youtube, discord, etc, but not when playing games.

Back
Top Bottom