Rant - London rent prices...

Associate
Now they are seriously getting silly. Why now you're asking? Well it's because I can't really afford it anymore.

I'm a second year uni student. For some reason I get hardly any loan because my Mum met some guy I don't know and so I can't afford to live in London unless I live with my girlfriend in a tiny box room.

I go through finding a place every year and prices just keep going up and up. I don't understand how greedy landlords can get. Not only do you pay huge sums for a single room but they are also awful. Budget with the GF is £1k a month and we're really struggling to find something we can live in. Personally I think two people would naturally work in a 4 bed house not one room but that may be because I grew up in the county in a big house.

Why don't you move further out I hear you say? Well I've looked at ALL options and generally the small savings you get for going a few miles out will be lost in transport costs. If you go to the other extreme of 30miles out you'll pay £400 a month for a railcard to get into London.

This is really ****ing me off as I've always utterly despised sharing with other people and have been 'floating' from place to place with all my possessions in boxes - it's really not nice. I think I want to get out of London but I still got two years of uni left at least. I might move to Sweden afterwards and get out of this country all together!

Rant over, please continue with your day ;). But really. How much further can they go?

Associate
OP
It's London, a capital city. What was you expecting?!?!!

Sure it's going to be expensive but how do you expect the people benefitting from this profits of ridiculous rent prices to get their coffee if the people who make it can't afford to be there!? It will get to that point in not so long.

Associate
OP
I hear the north is cheap. Could easily rent a 4 bed detached for 1k up their.

really..... there are families with multiple children (who work hard) who can't afford to do that outside of London. You're a student studying in London (bad choice of location in my opinion being the capital and all that :rolleyes:), you're not supposed to be living in a life of luxury.

4 bedrooms for 2 people, who will likely be in the same bed anyway is overkill, I can understand 2 bedrooms but 4.... and I live in the countryside and always had 2 rooms (bedroom and a room that was kind of my own space and or office) while growing up :rolleyes:

At uni I shared with other people and had one room, it's part of uni life. Lower your standards/expectations and you might find somewhere although £1000 a month isn't a lot in London

I don't actually want a 4 bed right now and I understand this is very unrealistic in London but I think people naturally need the space. Combine that with the fact most advertised 4 beds are actually two beds with some storage space.

Look at spareroom.co.uk. I had a similar issue in Cambridge (I could afford a bit more... But would rather save.)

What do you think I've been doing every day for the past 3 months?

One of the biggest parts about being a student is learning. Not just learning about what you applied to do but a method of learning that you then apply to all aspects of life.

This part of your post tells me you've not learned a damn thing because rents in Sweden are even more prohibitive than in this country especially in Stockholm. ;)

Read the news look it up get this pie in the sky notion out of your brain now! It won't be better. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/19/why-stockholm-housing-rules-rent-control-flat

Sorry, I only mentioned Sweden because I like the country - not for the rent prices.

Did you not notify SLC that you have no financial connection with you mum, i.e. "estranged"? (I assume you don't go "home" out of term time).

Google "independant student".

Also:-

Seirously - just you and you GF and you want a 4 bed house? What will you be using the other 3 bedrooms for?

Just get a 1 bed flat and be done with it.

Can't do that, I rang, they said I must be legally estranged I think. It's extremely annoying when I've been 100% finically independent of my parents for over 3 years now and they don't have any intention of giving me anything this year.

Associate
OP
I dont quite understand why you think a couple need 4 bedrooms. And I don't expect London to have many big country houses with room to waste.

There's more than enough 1 bedroom properties on Rightmove for under £500 PCM - 114 currently with some near the centre of London: Rightmove

Everyone's an expert on OcUK aren't they? If you actually click on the adverts you'll find they're either parking spaces or flatshares. People like to lie a lot too when advertising these places which makes finding places even more difficult.

Associate
OP
You think a 4-bed house would be the norm for two people?

What are you smoking? And can I have some?

Want to study and live in central London full time? Have rich parents.

Or flat share in a dive.

Otherwise, forget it.

Okay so the whole 4 bed thing? I think everyone should have so much more space I don't think it's right humans live in such cramped conditions and be told that's how it is.

Associate
OP
LOL four bed house for a student and his gf in London.

When you sober up you should consider a house share. I moved to London last year after graduating and found a decent sized room in a four bed house in Tooting for £500/month bills inc. I was on a pittance graduate salary of £22K. A year later I'm on 50% more and I can consider something marginally better. Maybe I'll have your four bed in Zone 2 in 20 years if I'm lucky.

Lol a student living in a 4 bed house in London?

Check your reality at the door mate.

It's not just London either, there's some new houses here in a ****e location and the two beds are up for rent at £1,200 a month!!! It's a joke.

Has it got to that part of the thread where no one reads it anymore. I never said I want a 4 bed house!

you're only a student - you should really be house sharing like most other students.

And then when you graduate you can move out of the over priced dump that is london ;)

Using 'should' is interesting. I have to, yes. But I should be house sharing? Why? It's ****ing awful.

He certainly is with £1k a month for rent. His expectations of what £1k gets you is very much devoid of reality.

And did you like London and not look into the rent prices too?

When I worked in London I lived in a box room in shared accommodation. When you are young you suck it up. You are being totally unrealistic.

Not really. I'm just ranting on how I think it should be better.

Back
Top Bottom