[Rant thread] BT - do they actually want customers?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Just moved into a new place in Coventry to rent while I try and find a good rung to start from on the property ladder. I need an internet connection. Okay, Orange Broadband haven't annoyed me in at least a couple of months, so I'll stick with the account that I have with them (besides, cable isn't an option in this bit of Earlsdon). They tell me that they can transfer my connection here as soon as I get a BT line sorted.

Spoke to a lady on the phone at BT (after a ~20min in a queue) who seemed totally disinterested in being where she was - which I can understand, given the crappiness of the job, but it hardly inspires confidence in the company. She tells me that they need to send an engineer out to check on the wires, to make sure that the requisite wiring is all present and correct. All fine so far. "Earliest we can get out to you will be the 26th of September".

Whaaaaaaaat?

I have to wait twenty two days, maybe even more if any work needs doing (God forbid), to get a damned BT line? Plus however long it takes Orange to get the broadband account moved to the new number.....I'm looking at not having an internet connection until October if the worst happens.

Now, as it stands I've managed to charm one of my neighbours who has a wireless router in his home, he's allowing me to piggyback into his connection. But much as the idea of free internet appeals on some level, my conscience really won't let me leave the situation like this for very long. The lady at BT said I could keep ringing up in the week to see if they've had a cancellation, but seeing as I actually have to do some work during the day I really can't spend time sat in a queue being told my call is very important to them when it quite blatantly isn't.

Grrrrrr.

Permabanned
JRS said:
Just moved into a new place in Coventry to rent while I try and find a good rung to start from on the property ladder. I need an internet connection. Okay, Orange Broadband haven't annoyed me in at least a couple of months, so I'll stick with the account that I have with them (besides, cable isn't an option in this bit of Earlsdon). They tell me that they can transfer my connection here as soon as I get a BT line sorted.

Spoke to a lady on the phone at BT (after a ~20min in a queue) who seemed totally disinterested in being where she was - which I can understand, given the crappiness of the job, but it hardly inspires confidence in the company. She tells me that they need to send an engineer out to check on the wires, to make sure that the requisite wiring is all present and correct. All fine so far. "Earliest we can get out to you will be the 26th of September".

Whaaaaaaaat?

I have to wait twenty two days, maybe even more if any work needs doing (God forbid), to get a damned BT line? Plus however long it takes Orange to get the broadband account moved to the new number.....I'm looking at not having an internet connection until October if the worst happens.

Now, as it stands I've managed to charm one of my neighbours who has a wireless router in his home, he's allowing me to piggyback into his connection. But much as the idea of free internet appeals on some level, my conscience really won't let me leave the situation like this for very long. The lady at BT said I could keep ringing up in the week to see if they've had a cancellation, but seeing as I actually have to do some work during the day I really can't spend time sat in a queue being told my call is very important to them when it quite blatantly isn't.

Grrrrrr.

No internet? For 22 days?

OMG!!!!!!

Permabanned
Unlucky :eek:

I wonder why they need to send an engineer out then - assuming there is a BT line already installed? When I last moved they connected me within the hour IIRC.

Associate
Push them really hard and speak to her adviser and then their manager. If it a new flat chances are no work will need to be done. I had a similar situation recently with BT, i was moving to a premises a floor above where i was, which i know had already had the necessary checks as the previous occupant had used B/Band there, (BT told me they werenot their lines despite my having the previous occupant account details in my hand!!!!!!!) but no had to wait over 1month, i only wanted my line taking with me. Had to cancel current braodband and start again etc.
So i pushed and pushed until they agreed i could have an engineer come out and change lines at the post at the end of the lane (would have been easier to run an extension up the stairs!) and they would not need to cut off my broadband. Come that day of move, they cut off my broadband!!!! despite denying having done so, as the engineer arrived changed wires and informed me they had stopped my account.....so had a new install arrive new router and everything new!! so years of email address lost. having to inform everyone of new address what a pain....

all of BT has been fragmented from what i can gather in to different departments and seperate entities and no one knows waht others are doing, a complete mess!!!!!

Permabanned
dirtydog said:
Unlucky :eek:

I wonder why they need to send an engineer out then - assuming there is a BT line already installed? When I last moved they connected me within the hour IIRC.
You were lucky when I moved a few years ago they installed a new line even though the old line worked fine. I also had to wait a fortnight for the engineer to come round.

Associate
Applied for an adsl connection at our work office on 28th June, keep getting new dates set by BT, still got nothing....exchange is full apparently (although I'd bet that if we ordered with BT internet (eclipse as current isp) they'd find space....had stupid amounts of trouble with BT, but it's all we can get down here unfortunately

Permabanned
Sleepy said:
You were lucky when I moved a few years ago they installed a new line even though the old line worked fine. I also had to wait a fortnight for the engineer to come round.

It's been the same the last two times I moved in fact (prior to that I had an ntl cable phone, or no phone). I guess I have been lucky then :)

JRS

JRS

Soldato
OP
Visage said:

OMG!!!!!!

Uh, lack of phoneline was a tad more pressing than the internet actually, but thanks for the sarcasm.

That said, I really do need a 'net connection in order to do my job. And when my housemates here move in next week they'll need it for their studies. But hey, I'm alright....I'll just keep piggybacking my neighbour's connection until BT decide to do their job, and buy the bloke a bottle of Scotch to say thanks....

Associate
I also have had bad dealings with BT as has a friend of mine. I spent 2 months finding out why they had not carried out a line upgrade i had requested and had an installation date 2 months ago for. After numerous phone calls being shunted from department to department, and zero of the promised call backs I discovered not one single person i spoke to over those 2 months had made ANY comprehensive notes on the system to say what was going on. I threatened legal action (I had confirmation emails and invoices) and that got them moving.

My friends broadband ISP went bust and its taken BT again a couple of months to get their act together to sort out the line so they can move to a different provider, leaving them without broadband during this time.

Their customer support is pretty disgusting.

Soldato
I'm so glad that Warwick Accommodation aren't sorting out the internet in our house - I hate it when they lock the router in a cupboard so you can't touch it or change any settings on it.

I think the BT line and everything in our property (Sovereign Road - very close to the common) is already there, so all we need to do is activate the line and give NTL a call :D

Soldato
Orange were pretty quick and I have never had to wait more than 4 days for something from BT, perhaps it's just my accent and polite manner though ;)

Associate
I moved house a while ago, BT were informed and I was told that I'd have to cancel my BB contract and then resume at the new address (about a mile away, same exchange etc) as soon as the new line was working.
As soon as I moved in, I asked to resume my BB and was told it would be done in a weeks time - on the scheduled day nothing happened, and on phoning up to find out why I was told there was no spare capacity in the exchange !
I can only suggest you put in a formal complaint via BT's website as this may make things happen quicker for you. I actually work for BT as a tech in the field, we've lost one third of our staff in the past year as well as being given loads of work previously done by contractors (the contracts were cancelled to save money), and quite frankly we can't cope, especially if anyone is on holiday or off sick. Unfortunately BT seems to think it can keep squeezing the customer facing staff, while pampering the execs and seems oblivious of the effect it is having on the customers.
Rant over !

Permabanned
Visage said:

OMG!!!!!!

To justify the sarcastic and unnecessary response in which you express mock horror at having no net access for 22 days perhaps you should refrain from posting for 22 days.
Perhaps a good natured MOD would help make that a reality by banning you for 22 days.

/wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Permabanned
JRS said:
I wouldn't bother VIRII. It was partly my fault for devoting the majority of my OP to that part of the problem, it was just inviting such a response. I really ought to have expected it :)

You shouldn't have to expect it from someone who considers himself a cut above the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom