Raspberry Pi 3

Soldato
Considering a Raspberry Pi 3 (or wait for next gen) I want to replace the squeezecenter installed on my Qnap NAS (200mhz CPU) with the Raspberry Pi 3.

The only issue is the OS, with windows I just map a drive and squeezecenter points to y:\qnap\music.

How do you map a drive in the Raspberry Linux OS? I've used Ununtu and it's easy to browse the LAN to the qnap but unsure about mapping.

Is there a ISO image I can use for Pi3 that has latest squeecenter installed?

Soldato
OP
Just for host audio server, you install squeezecenter on your computer (NAS/PC/raspberry) it then scans a local hard drive, or network share and builds a music database.

Then you have squeezeboxes on your LAN, each squeezebox connects to your host audio server so when you play music the host audio PC decode the audio.

Typically the 200mhz in the NAS is just about ok but scanning music takes ages, and it's a bit sluggish browsing the music via tablet or the front panel VFD so I can't see why a modern ultra power power computer doesn't do a better job.

Soldato
I think it will outperform your NAS cpu.

but bear in mind by default pi3's come with no cooling, and is inadequate. I suggest getting a flirc case with it. The flirc case has a heatsink attached and the entire case is the heatsink.

Associate
I have run ownCloud on my Pi3 in stock form and overclocked, full raspbian and various other distros and can’t say I have ever had an issue with cooling. The processor is more than capable to do these things without screaming. Given the variety of operating systems I have found most of them to be great.

Soldato
OP
Is the noobs Microsd card used for OS & applications, or does the pi have internal storage and the microsd is only used to install "from"

I have microsd cards spare 32GB, so I can use that instead and download a ISO and create my own installer image?

Soldato
OP
would to like internal flash, rather than micro SD- much like phone/tablet install ROM to internal memory then you've got microsd for additional storage.

How come it doesn't have a few GB storage onboard?

Associate
The pi was originally meant for schools to learn coding so having interchangeable micro sd cards suited it well, that way students could have their own card and pop it into any pi and have all their info like a usb stick on a pc. Also allows (in my use) for me to have various cards with raspbian, osmc, ownCloud etc on and change quickly and easily without having to re-flash the device.

I think the truckie and beagleboard have onboard flash?

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I have run ownCloud on my Pi3 in stock form and overclocked, full raspbian and various other distros and can’t say I have ever had an issue with cooling. The processor is more than capable to do these things without screaming. Given the variety of operating systems I have found most of them to be great.
it will run but was it throttling?

retropie throttles on a pi3 with unmodded cooling, you can also google to see its an issue.

Soldato
I got no idea if there is headers on the board that can be used to cut power, there certainly isnt a power switch, which is why no cases have a power button.

So for it to work with a power button you would need supported headers.
Connect a switch to the headers.
Configure OS to safely shutdown when power button pressed.

Something like retropie it might be possible to assign a gamepad button.

What I have is a portable bluetooth keyboard I got from the tree site, its the size of my palm so very portable, it comes with a usb stick, so the usb stick is the bluetooth receiver. Its an awesome device, I use it for my pfsense unit and my pi3. In thoery you could assign a button combination or a function button to shutdown, then this should be easy to do. The keyboard works in the bios as well on my pfsense unit so is even compatible pre boot.

Soldato
OP
Beginning to think this isn't the best suited product. Reason why I bought my old Qnpa as installs squeezecenter. Rather not have two seperate units as had problems with them. Fastest would be htpc with music stored locally but that uses far more power than just the qnap.

Back
Top Bottom