Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

daz

daz

Soldato
I've been following the http://www.raspberrypi.org/ progress over the last few months and it looks like it's going to be a fantastic product. An ARM based linux computer in a credit card sized form factor, with decent I/O options.

Now whilst this is intended to have educational applications (they want it so they can kit out classes for ~$1000) I think I'll be using it to replace an ageing P3 based home server. :p

daz

daz

Soldato
OP
Should be available in November I think they're aiming for. Some of the videos and screenshots they have of the hardware running Ubuntu and Quake 3 are really impressive. :)

daz

daz

Soldato
OP
When did you guys register? I registered on the morning it was announced at about 8am, but haven't got the "1st batch" email from RS. :(

daz

daz

Soldato
OP
This is never going to be a powerhouse, but some of the more recent Openelec and raspxbmc builds have been a LOT lighter on CPU usage than the first few builds (20% cpu usage rather than 90%). There may well be some big performance increases to eek out.

Definitely, similar to how game developers over time get to grips with a games console's hardware to get the most from the platform.

Ordered my Pi last week so that will be fun to play with when it arrives presumably some time next month. :)

daz

daz

Soldato
OP
Got my RPi today!

Just stuck Debian on there to get started and play around. Weirdly enough I had to change USB power cables because the first one I tried caused issues with the keyboard.

Back
Top Bottom