Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Soldato
Got my code today.... doubt if I'll order.

Any of you want to run some benchmarks on it ? eg run something like iperf and checking the cpu load / interrupts and how much time is stolen from the kernel etc

Or as a basic test... check the cpu usage/file transfer rate when you transfer a file over the network

Associate
Have you got yours hooked up to an AV receiver? I'd imagine if you did both audio and video for the 1080p would be near perfect.

Unfortunately I don't own a AV receiver to test this. Currently just using it on a cheap 720 TV as the other half won't let me use the proper TV till tomorrow. It has taken a while to scrap info about my files, but I've read about setting up a separate sql database that should be a nice way around this. For the price it's great but for my main TV I'll probably get something a bit more dedicated as I'd like instant playback rather than a 10 second delay. For my bedroom though it's fine.
It's by no means powerful really, but it will be good for various project work.
I'll do some more testing tomorrow when I pick up another SD card.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got my RS code yesterday, does anyone know how long they are valid for as I might not be able to order until the end of the month :(

Rang RS and the woman on the phone said to ask on the raspberry pi forums! Surely its a code they generate to allow you to order..

EDIT: Just dropped an email to [email protected] to try find out, will update this thread in case anyone else was wondering

Last edited:
Associate
That's pretty strange that you rang RS and they told you to ask on the forums. However I do remember reading a post on the pi forums where someone hadn't received their code but some time later received a reminder email. So I'd imagine they're probably valid for a while.

Associate
This is never going to be a powerhouse, but some of the more recent Openelec and raspxbmc builds have been a LOT lighter on CPU usage than the first few builds (20% cpu usage rather than 90%). There may well be some big performance increases to eek out.

Soldato
That's pretty strange that you rang RS and they told you to ask on the forums. However I do remember reading a post on the pi forums where someone hadn't received their code but some time later received a reminder email. So I'd imagine they're probably valid for a while.

Yeah, I thought it was strange too. Might give them another call and hopefully speak to someone else that might know. Won't be able to order until next week and don't want to lose it and be back in the queue again after waiting this long.

No Longbow I really don't.

Associate
Yeah, I thought it was strange too. Might give them another call and hopefully speak to someone else that might know. Won't be able to order until next week and don't want to lose it and be back in the queue again after waiting this long.

No Longbow I really don't.

Well if it makes you feel any better, my friend got his RS code 2 weeks ago and only ordered this week. His code hadn't expired yet. Whether they're allocating stock to each code or whether they wait for you to redeem the code before they allocate I don't know.

Soldato
Well if it makes you feel any better, my friend got his RS code 2 weeks ago and only ordered this week. His code hadn't expired yet. Whether they're allocating stock to each code or whether they wait for you to redeem the code before they allocate I don't know.

Excellent, thanks for that, exactly the kind of info I was after :)

daz

daz

Soldato
OP
This is never going to be a powerhouse, but some of the more recent Openelec and raspxbmc builds have been a LOT lighter on CPU usage than the first few builds (20% cpu usage rather than 90%). There may well be some big performance increases to eek out.

Definitely, similar to how game developers over time get to grips with a games console's hardware to get the most from the platform.

Ordered my Pi last week so that will be fun to play with when it arrives presumably some time next month. :)

Associate
Looks pretty amazing.

I'd love to be able to play around with a camera module of my own before this is released, though I don't know how I'd go about that. One would have to write their own CIS driver themselves???? :confused:

Associate
Going to order one soon:)

I am a fan of Linux but I can't use it on my main hardware because they don't support as much applications which I use day to day with Windows which would cause a massive problem. I also did not want to dual boot with Windows because of wasted space and the incovience at the boot menu.

This £30 computer would be the answear for me. Allowing me to play with Linux without forking out on a new computer or dual booting. What a great idea! :)

Back
Top Bottom