Raspberry Pi 4 and argon one v2 case (question about fan/hat)

Soldato
Hi all
so im pretty new to the pi scene.
I picked up 2 pi4s and a pair of argone one v2 cases

I've installed the argon1.sh script for raspian and for retro pie but having issues getting it to work on Lineage OS.

when I SSH into the pie whilst using Lineage OS it doesn't work with a username and pw. i think I found one article stating I have to push a key to it but I have no idea how to do that.

does anyone know how I might find a solution for this?

Cheers!

Associate
What was the article you referred to?

You can manually update the list of known hosts for a SSH client, so that it is 'trusted' from that point on, or do it upon the first initial connection.

What happens with Lineage OS? Does it just time out or is there a different error? Never used Lineage OS myself - I presume you can SSH into the Pi from Putty or similar on a different client?

Soldato
OP
I can't find the original page I was reading but have found this one whilst trying to find it for you.
https://binfalse.de/2018/09/06/native-ssh-server-on-linageos/
I reached out to Argon40 and they don't support lineage yet so even if I can get in I can't use the script.
I've got a workaround for now, though it's not a simple one... I can set the fan jumper to always on but this is not ideal.

I'm just going to use this lineage Pi without the fan on as the case acts as heatsink anyway and haven't seen temps rise over 50 degrees yet even when overclocked to 2ghz

do you know if the thermal throttling hardcoded into the hardware for the Pi or is it software-driven?

Associate
do you know if the thermal throttling hardcoded into the hardware for the Pi or is it software-driven?
I believe it is in the firmware/EEPROM as there were a few tweaks early in the Pi 4 lifecycle to manage power consumption/heat.

I would be reasonably confident that the Argon fan is connecting to the GPIO header using pins out of numbers 2,4,6 - they are your 2x 5v and ground pins. You could connect the fan to those pins but that would be always on, at full tilt.

I've got a Pimoroni fan shim on one of my Pi 4s, comes with Python scripts to manage the fan. Maybe you could try controlling your fan with that, as it's just going to be controlling the voltage given to the fan?

https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/sandyj/getting-started-with-fan-shim

Soldato
OP
I believe it is in the firmware/EEPROM as there were a few tweaks early in the Pi 4 lifecycle to manage power consumption/heat.

I would be reasonably confident that the Argon fan is connecting to the GPIO header using pins out of numbers 2,4,6 - they are your 2x 5v and ground pins. You could connect the fan to those pins but that would be always on, at full tilt.

I've got a Pimoroni fan shim on one of my Pi 4s, comes with Python scripts to manage the fan. Maybe you could try controlling your fan with that, as it's just going to be controlling the voltage given to the fan?

https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/sandyj/getting-started-with-fan-shim
thanks for that. I've got the same issue here though, I can't get the script working with the android system.
so far I've not had any throttling issues yet so I'm quite content not having it on. temps are not over 52 degrees as far as I know... I have to jump into aida64 quickly after using tv/media or playing a game to check temps but so far so good in all aspects.

thanks for confirming about the thermal throttling.

Associate
thanks for confirming about the thermal throttling.
If your Pi 4 is fairly recent, then you should have the firmware which did the updates installed, VL805. If you haven't got it, it's definitely worth installing as it makes a massive difference to heat.

If you start a terminal session, run the command 'sudo rpi-eeprom-update' and it will tell you what your current firmware revision is and if there's an update available. Here's what my Pi 4 2GB shows:

Pi4-firmware.png

Soldato
OP
Can I do this from a terminal in RetroPie or does it have to be Raspian or a desktop distro?

ok so I just done this via RP terminal and its exactly the same as yours :)

thanks for that

Back
Top Bottom