Rattling Noise on ZZR-600 (Video Included)

Associate
OP
Found the culprit with the help of my next door neighbour :D

culprit.jpg

It was just a bleedin' stone in one of the exhausts! I ran the bike without the cans on and it sounded spot on. What a weight off my shoulders :D

Soldato
Whereabouts in the exhaust system was that thing??!!!! :eek:

In one of the end cans?.

More to the point, who put it there? :D

Chuffed for you m8, you can relax now and put the credit card away. :cool:

Associate
OP
Yeah it was in one of the ends of one of the cans - trapped on the outside of the baffle.

Looks like I spoke too soon. There's still a rattle there when the cans are back on and it sounds like it's coming from the section that merges the 4 branches of the manifold. Perhaps there are more pieces of stone in there, so it's time to take it apart and inspect the manifold :(

Soldato
Keep us posted m8!!

The only way I can think the stone ( or stones depending on what you find once the zorst gets whipped off ) is that some rotten sod picked em up and put them in there. :mad:

However, got any kids or are there any kids around the bike at any time?.

One of the guys over on the RSV Mille forums posted some really cute pics of his 3 year old filling up both end cans of his Akrapovic system with stones from his driveway. :p

Associate
OP
It was a private sale however I did contact the previous owner as he mentioned it was a brand new manifold and there were no details of it in the receipts he gave me. I asked him if there was any chance it was still within warranty at the place that fitted it and he said it probably was. He even offered to come down to the garage with me to get it sorted - top man :)

It turns out there's metal plate in the collector box to guide the air flow, which seems to have come loose, as shown in the pic below. That's not a pic of my bike, but I assume my manifold will have a similar plate in the middle.

There's no way to fix it without opening it up and rewelding it all back together. I'll contact the garage that fitted it later this week. If there's no warranty left, I'll have to put up with it and keep my eye out for a bargain 2nd hand manifold.

gone.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
The collector boxes on ZZR 600's are notorious for going bad - either from inside or on the outside. There's a thin indent which runs between the two parts where it joins together underneath and on top and that's where all the usual road crud gets stuck and festers away until eventually, rust settles in.

Happened to mine and I got away with using chemical metal to bodge a repair but it only lasted a month or so.

Had to bite the bullet and get a new stainless Motad set of downpipes for the bike to pass it's MoT. That was about 5 years ago and at the time I'm sure the Motad was around the £200 mark.

Associate
OP
The funny thing is, it is a brand new Motad manifold which has only cover 2000miles. I've not been able to find a manifold for sub £200 either. Do the motad exhausts come with a lifetime warranty?

Associate
Couple of questions,

Does it go away if you pull in the clutch and put it in gear
Does it change with engine temp (is it the same from stone cold)
Is it from the front/top/bottom/back of engine
If you go along a bumpy road with the engine off does it rattle (loose brackets...)
How many miles has it done ?
I have the same issue my zzr also rattles but stops when i pull in clutch lever and quietens down after it warms up . Is it the same issue please

Associate
I have a zzr600 1998 . But also my clutch rattles .i did not know about zzr.s as i got for 800 pounds . Should i just get rid or can this clutch rattle be sorted easily. Its stops when i pull clutch lever in. And also gets quieter once engine is warmed up.

Caporegime
Post a video. Your rattling might be nothing, it could mean the bike is falling to bits.

Your statement about pistons fighting each other tells me you’re in no position to be making guesses and probably know extremely little about how engines and clutches work. I don’t mean this to sound negative, we all started somewhere, but rather than be the 947502757305th random person on the internet to give you some made-up-so-I-look-like-I-know-what-I’m-talking-about-on-the-internet rubbish we need a starting point, and that starting point is context. So grab your phone, hit record, fire the bike up and show us exactly what you’re describing.

Do it with the bike cold and go from there.

Back
Top Bottom