RB's Training Log 2016

Soldato
Previous log:
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18647042

I aimed to train for an entire year in 2015 which I did manage to do (my first whole year of training!), but I was a bit inconsistent with my sessions during the second half of the year so I didn't make that much gains.
Squats went from 112.5kg up to 122.5kg at April, at which point was my strongest squats-wise. Now I'm at about the same as the beginning of last year but with better form/ATG.
Deadlifts went from 125kg to 165kg so the only lift which really made any good progression.

Now for this year, lifting wise, I plan to get back to squatting 3 times a week so I can get back ma gainzz. Deadlifts are ok, just need to keep plodding on.
Squat: ~110kg -> 140kg for reps
Deadlift: 165kg -> 200kg for reps

Also, I really want to push my calisthenics this year so lots of pull ups/core training/handstands, etc.
So goals for that for end of year are:
One-handed handstand
Progression with the human flag
Progression with the front lever

And finally, just to keep up with doing mobility stuff. My shoulders are a lot better but still got work to do. My hips/glutes are terribly tight but I never really worked on that so starting to now.
And I've always wanted to get better flexibility in my legs so planning to join a yoga class.

Here's to 2016! :)

Soldato
OP
Body is just about getting used to working out 6 days a week again.. really need to up my sleep though. Difficult with work atm though; in long days and up early. :(

I've decided to change my program because I've been on 5x5 for so long, I feel I've kinda plateaued a bit. And just because I want to change it up a bit.
Going to start 5/3/1 from next week. So testing my 1RMs today and tomorrow.

Got a 130kg squat fairly easily. Probably could have got 135kg, but not 140kg, which is what I had back in April last year. :eek: Better form this time around though.

And same day got a 180kg deadlift. Not great form but wasn't as much of a struggle as I thought it would be.

Soldato
OP
Tested 1RM on the bench press today. Haven't bench pressed in a while so I kinda expected not to hit the 100kg that I hit before. Got a 90kg quite comfortably though.
Which means my total has dropped 5kg and my weight has gone up 3kg. Not too great! :D

Soldato
OP
First day of 5/3/1. Had a really bad sleep (2.5 hours) so it felt a lot heavier than it should have.

Deadlift
105kg x 5, 120kg x 5, 140kg x 6
80kg - 5x10

And some handstands/core stuff. I really want to get 1.4m box jumps.

Soldato
Deadlift PB seems accurate to me :)

Shoulders might be a form thing rather than anything else. But shoulders are typically the weakest pushing muscles so don't sweat it so long as they're improving :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah I know, but they're not improving that's why haha. Been at about 45/50kg for 5 reps for ages now. Just looked at my old log and last year Jan I was doing 5x5 at 45kg.
I find low reps don't work for me (for shoulders), I need to up the volume; the 2 times where I improved the most were when I went on a course and we trained shoulders for hours. :D

I know they say for 5/3/1 just train each compound lift once a week, but I want to train squats twice. On not a very good sleep, and just 2 bananas I hit the same reps as earlier in the week (albeit slightly lower 5x10 at the end).

Squat
75kg x 5, 90kg x 5, 100kg x 13
70kg - 5x10

Glute Bridges
Handstands

Soldato
OP
Missed yesterday so supersetted (as I was rushed for time) squats and bench press today. Man the squats were heavy!

Squat
80kg x 3, 95kg x 3, 105kg x 12
95kg - 10, 10, 10, 8, 5

Bench Press
55kg x 3, 65kg x 3, 75kg x 7
50kg - 5x10

Soldato
OP
Nope no reason!

Deload week this week.

And I managed to pull my right pec minor playing badminton tonight. :( Should've taken it easier as I had fairly long waits between games and I was stiff/cramping up from the start.
Iced (and made a mess with peas all over the floor) and stretched it and shall repeat over the next few days. Hopefully all ok by Thursday as I have a match in the evening.

Soldato
OP
Guess I should update a little as it's only been 9 months since I last posted. :D

Trained sort of well up to the beginning of summer at which point my training was a bit inconsistent.

Since September I've been back on it, following the 5/3/1, training about 3 times a week. I've been a lot more consistent training less, rather than before where I was going 5/6 times a week along with badminton/not great sleep; I just wasn't getting the recovery in.

So now along with ~3 times at the gym a week I'm playing ~3 times of badminton.

Strength has gone up a little bit. Nowhere near where I wanted but hopefully this trend continues now.

Most recent workouts:

Week 1 of the cycle.

OHP - 40kg x 5, 45kg x 5, 50kg x 8

Squat - 85kg x 5, 95kg x 5, 110kg x 11

Deadlifts I'll do tomorrow.

V F

V F

Soldato
Today's deadlifts felt much better than the last 2 times.

Deadlift
120kg x 5, 140kg x 3, 155kg x 4
95kg - 5x10

Handstands
Some plyo stuff

Impressive! Are you into martial arts? You keep making me think you're going to drop a roundhouse kick. So agile.

Back
Top Bottom