RE: 9800 pro, Oblivion and Processes

Permabanned
Hiya,

Im running an AMD 2600, 1Gig 333Mhz DDR and 9800 Pro. I have experimented with Oblivion no end....

I was running it at 1024x768, distant lands on. I noticed that the 9800pro doesnt like shadows at all. But they add so much more to the game.

So now I have shadows on. 2 Steps inside, and 1 step outside. Distant lands on. High Texture Resolution. 3/4 slider for grass and trees. Objects 1/2 to 3/4. bloom lighting. I have the page file on its own partition on a seperate drive.

I was averaging about 14-17 fps with the above settings.

Recently before I play the game I disconnect my network adapter. bring up Task Manager and kill almost all the processes I can without crashing my machine. AV, Firewall, even FRAPS! I can manage on about 12-14 Processes.

I dont know what my FPS is now, but i can tell you there is a noticeable difference. Well worthwhile. I cant advice you on what processes to kill, as you will certainly have a different setup to me. But its well worth it.
I was going to buy a X1600Pro, but have read that they are not that good. Beaten by the X800 hands down. However the X800 doesnt have shader model 3. So no HDR. So, I will not be upgrading my 9800 Pro.

Not just yet....

Associate
Gandalf501 said:
I dont know what my FPS is now, but i can tell you there is a noticeable difference. Well worthwhile.

bring up the console in-game (I think it's the ` key, in the top-left of your keyboard) and type "tdt" without the quote marks. You'll get an fps counter and a few other bits of info. ;)

Glad to hear you're getting nice performance out of the game, enjoy it! I've got a 9800pro but it's hamstrung by the celeron D. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Thats why I always disable the unnecessary services in Windows. With my firewall, anti-virus, ATI Tray tools, ATI Tool and MSN running, it gives me a total of 20 processes running:)

About 90% of the services Windows thinks you need, you don't and by disabling them it frees up loads of RAM and CPU cycles.

Soldato
I have to shut down loadsa processes that norton runs when i play this too on my P4 3ghz, xt800, 512mb ram... would love to play it on a top spec rig, from screen shots ive seen it looks awesome - graphics dont make a game great but they do make a great game even better imo :)

Soldato
HangTime said:
Anything over 150meg from a clean boot is pretty high IMO (for winxp). 120 is a good target to aim for; some people have this even lower.
I think it would be lower but the ATI drivers add 50Mb, if i had a Nvidia then it would be about 100Mb

Back
Top Bottom