Re-applying for my Shotgun licence..

Soldato
Deadly Ferret said:
Vaguely relevant query. I've been thinking of taking up shooting as a hobby. I have no convictions nor mental health problems. What other stumbling blocks might there be to my application being successful?

Would one of these certificates be necessary if I were to just seek to join a club and use one of their guns on the premises rather than own a gun? Would a club require a certificate as a qualification for membership?

Thanks. :)

Missed this one.

No stumbling blocks by the sounds of it. Depends whether you're after a shotgun or a firearms certificate though, as you have to provide 'good reason' for owning a firearm. You have to basically prove why you need each and every firearm you own to be given what amounts to permission to buy it.

A good example is as follows:

I need a .22 rimfire for rabbit control - Fair enough, good reason, not usually a problem.

I need a .308 Winchester centrefire (same round as 7.62 NATO) for rabbit control - No chance in hell, not a good reason.

I'm a member of standing in a Home Office approved club and I want a .308 for target shooting on a range which is certified for this calibre - Usually OK, classes as a good reason.

Any Home Office approved gun club or range will have permission to allow supervised non-licenced use on their premises. This also applies to clay pigeon grounds and the like. For rifle ranges, you will be a probationary member for at least 6 months before becoming a full member.

Be scrupulously honest on the application and declare everything, and as long as nothing comes up on the PNC or Criminal Intelligence checks, and you're OK when you get the visit, then here shouldn't be a problem.

Soldato
singist said:
My, we are touchy;

I'm sure that you are as knowledgable as you say. My original statement was aimed at all the wannabe people who chip in with something that they heard from a friend of a friend etc yet quote info as though they are the definative source on the subject.

I'm sorry that you should feel tarred; as I said, it wasn't aimed (geddit) at you. ;)

Fair enough :)

My post did come across as overly touchy having re-read it, so my apologies.

And that pun was dreadful by the way :D

Back
Top Bottom