• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Re-flowing the solder on a GPU

Klo

Klo

Soldato
OP
Louis Rossman did a great video on reflowing called Reballing a Dead Horse, worth watching.
Yea he even had a go at linus for doing the baking method on old gpu.
Linus then went to his shop in new york to see how its done properly.

Indeed I watched both Linus's videos and Louis's response to it, plus his response to Linus visiting him. In the latter he said that the oven method is fine for perhaps an extra 30-90 days, which is all I'm asking for really!

Associate
i baked a really old 980gtx after it failed a few years ago after watching a video on the tube took all the plastic of first popped on a tray in it went for a few mins came out and ran for a solid year after that before finally giving up the ghost.

Associate
I just fixed my Amd 7870,which died 6 months ago.

Used a heatgun lowest heat setting was 300 degree,so i did it for 3 mins.

Put card back in pc and it works fine.

Been using my old 4870 which is only dx10,so glad i can play dx11 games again.

Associate
My 7870 died last year after 4.5 years of constant use,i used a heatgun on it last week and its still working ok.

Not sure how long it will last,but im glad i tried it.

V F

V F

Soldato
I put my Ps3 in the oven stripped down to the main board, still working 4 years on if that helps =D

I'm not brave enough to try it in the oven. It also feels very cowboy-ish. Like people putting petrol into the piston head.

I have repaired a ton of xbox360s / PS3s over the years
Fixed a few graphics cards as well

Used a heat gun and liquid flux (with a syringe)

Why does stuff like this go wrong
1. Thermal cycling
2. Solder .... Lead was removed from it , so it forms tin whiskers (thanks EU) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisker_(metallurgy)

My 40GB PS3 died in March 2012 due to the GPU solder obviously cracking. YLOD. Still got the console. Loved the finish on that PS3. So many fond memories. Loved that console so much.

I wonder how it would get on if it was reballed with lead solder.

They fixed it with the PS3 Slim and Super Slim if I mind right? They also took the heat spreader off the GPU with a direct copper plate and pipe to the GPU die itself.

Back
Top Bottom