re-inherited my old PC - what to do with it?

Soldato
Hey,

my dad has replaced the old PC i gave him about 5 years ago that i picked up nearly 10 years ago so its back with me and i would like to do something with it but i don't know what.

it was never a beast for its time and it currently stands with 4GB DDR2 (i think) AMD phenom 8650 triple core 2.3Ghz processor and an NVidia 210 (formally 8800GT but it died) running Vista :(

i know its far from great but i no longer have a desktop PC after moving we picked up a laptop thats now been exchanged for a windows 10 tablet/laptop hybrid.

im torn between sitting it near the living room TV and using it as a basic media/internet box but it seems there are much better options for that that would be much cheaper and possibly more reliable to run, the other thought was an old school gaming unit but would this really be much better then a rasberry pi with retropi installed?

any suggestions or would i be best scrapping/selling it (for what £20?) or could i actually get something fun out of its existence.

Man of Honour
Depending on your appetite for such things, use it as the brains inside a DIY retro arcade cabinet. Should keep you busy for a while, if nothing else :p

Soldato
OP
Depending on your appetite for such things, use it as the brains inside a DIY retro arcade cabinet. Should keep you busy for a while, if nothing else :p

I did this before and really enjoyed the project but once I'd finished it never got used that much and took up a lot of room.

The thought of a MAME and emulator unit is tempting and it could still have a basic account for internet browsing etc...

Associate
1 ) install linux
2 ) install steam
3 ) connect to tv and plug in xbox controller
4 ) use steam built in home streaming.

This should work pretty well considering you can do in home streaming to an extent with a raspberry Pi at 720p so this should be able to crank out 1080p

Associate
1 ) install linux
2 ) install steam
3 ) connect to tv and plug in xbox controller
4 ) use steam built in home streaming.

This should work pretty well considering you can do in home streaming to an extent with a raspberry Pi at 720p so this should be able to crank out 1080p

Beat me too it.

I'm use an similar aged PC (Athlon X2) as a HTPC, I built this for playing Bluerays when they fist came out as the players we're expensive.

I added an SSD for the OS and it's a grate box for steam in home streaming, web browsing and Amazon Video.

I stuck with win 10 as it's what I know.

Some games are just better played on a 52" sitting on the sofa.

Soldato
I'd just wipe the HDD and send it off for charity or the bin, if you have some parts that are sentimental then just take them out and throw the rest.

Associate
Pick up a cheap 8800GT and play all the games of the era on it :)

Games are more or less free 2nd hand and a 8800GT is about 10-15 quid on the 2nd hand market.

Associate
Not trying to hijack a thread - but you guys using Kodi are you using something like IPVanish with it?

I have done. I've got to set up my new HTPC with my new VPN. I use legitimate streaming services for the majority of my streaming which don't work with VPN's so that's why I'm not that on it.

Back
Top Bottom