Re-taking GCSE Maths - worth it?

Soldato
I understand some of the comments ie "Took mine off years ago, my achievements and experience outweigh what I done as a teenager." However, keeping/removing GCSE results is surely down to several factors such as role going for, age, experience etc. I took mine off, but that's only because i'm degree educated and have 25+ years experience!

As for the OP, one would think that with 20+yrs experience and courses, there would be no requirement to include GCSE results. However, it cannot be said to carte blanche remove them. Retail work, the employer may want to see evidence of basic writing and numeracy skills - or perhaps the military or the police, they require a minimum of x GCSE's (unless degree educated/educational waiver).

I purely wanted to resit my GCSE's at a later stage as i was embarrassed by my original grades!

Caporegime
^^^ this - where qualifications are important (such as further training courses or academic study) then...

If you don't have higher education or equivalents then taking them off might be fine for some jobs, it doesn't remove the issue for others or for certain options you might use to facilitate a career change as the OP is considering.

Associate
This is complete tosh. I've never ever had to present my GCSE results in any interview ever. I didn't even need to show my degree when I interviewed for a graduate role 12 years ago. Saying you just passed your GCSE maths that you took 20 years ago is only going to make people realise you've done very little with your life since leaving school...

Unless you're doing it for yourself, don't bother
Things have changed in 12 years. You dont present things to people anymore. It's all online with automatic checks. No C in maths? you're automatically filtered out.

Caporegime
Things have changed in 12 years. You dont present things to people anymore. It's all online with automatic checks. No C in maths? you're automatically filtered out.

Well that's odd as every job I've ever had has been due to face-to-face interviews, my most recent one being two years ago.

Caporegime
Well that's odd as every job I've ever had has been due to face-to-face interviews, my most recent one being two years ago.

He's not talking about interviews but filling out forms on recruitment portals etc.. if there is a section on there to fill out your qualifications then...

That can be the stage before an interview - perhaps more applicable to entry level/grad scheme types or career changers etc..

Soldato
Never had to present qualifications. MOD didn't require it either, infact, of all the interviews I've done they only cared about my work experience, I have seen a similar role in private sector requiring a degree but didn't reflect that in the salary.

Filtering out people because of an exam they took as a teenager is pretty archaic. Thankfully I think employers worth their salt see it that way too.

Soldato
If it’s an absolute prerequisite for a role to have a C or greater then I can see the value.

Otherwise I would probably study something else which demonstrates a similar level of competency but that is perhaps broader in scope.

I have hardly job hopped but have never had to evidence my qualifications, besides a professional one to a recruiter who subsequently didn’t actually place me.

Associate
Get it done, it might not bother you at the moment, but I have a friend who didn't need it for years until she did. She somehow got into Uni without a C, so it came back to bite her a bit.

However she was able to pass it more or less in a month with a cram exam, after a lot of stress and panic. So I suggest anyone with time on their side get it done, better than it coming back down the line when a job or course you do has that as the bare minimum!

Back
Top Bottom