Reacquainting myself with programming

Soldato
Hi all. Recently I've been pretty much 'forced' to get into development again. I used to code for fun years ago but this time I need to code. Reason being, I've started a business that's doubling in size every month and I just can't find ANY commercial business software that'll help me keep track of everything the way I want. I've spent weeks building a kick ass Excel file but with constant changing requirements it just don't hold up. Yesterday it pretty much collapsed under its own weight (or my shoddy skills caused it), rendering the data completely untrustworthy. My accountant is taking over all invoicing, payroll, returns, etc. But at a hefty hefty price. I'd let them for the time being until I've created a program that'll last. I've also explored using Access but I'd rather write something in C-sharp, build fancy but useful Window Forms and stick it on top of a database, preferably Access if it can be done?

Now, for my question. I'm obviously not going to learn all the nitty gritty again, I'd rather just copy code from online resources and only learn when I'm absolutely forced to. Which websites have a great catalogue of code samples I can use?

Soldato
If your excel spreadsheet cant keep up with the constant changing requirements, you need to address the reasons why your requirements are changing so much before you start with code. Keeping up with rapidly changing requirements will be 10x harder with your own code.

Is this because your business processes are changing? Maybe if you try a commercial software package it might help you define your business processes as well as solve your software needs?

Associate
What exactly are you trying to keep track of, and why aren't any well-established products capable of keeping up? If I was the founder of a rapidly-growing startup, the last thing I'd want to be doing is wasting my time writing software that I don't know how to write!

Edit: Don't mean to sound harsh there, just surprised that you think this is the best option. Stackoverflow is probably the best/obvious place to look, but having your business finances being dependant on some program you cobbled together from snippets online sounds risky.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the insights guys. I can actually write code, maybe I weren't very clear there. It's just that I haven't done so for many years.

The reason for the constant changing requirements;

It's a new business and I'm still finding my feet. Today alone I got two new employees, both on different rates. This is in a new business I only started last week. Or a new division so to speak. Been chasing the contract for months and got given it suddenly when another firm dropped out. My spreadsheet didn't allow for 2 new employees. Nor for a new division. This is only a small example. I've also brought in one more business partner for the same division. I'm taking on company vehicles but aren't equipped to even take down mileage, fuel cards use, etc. Unless I create yet ANOTHER spreadsheet. For example, I'm also starting up a container hire business. Keeping track of container numbers, locations, size, length of hire, discounts, etc. You get the idea. I've only given highlights, it gets more complicated. I wish I could've started things more gradually but business is messy like that.

I did play around with Access templates this morning and it can possibly work. Will check it out further

Caporegime
Thanks for the insights guys. I can actually write code, maybe I weren't very clear there. It's just that I haven't done so for many years.

The reason for the constant changing requirements;

It's a new business and I'm still finding my feet. Today alone I got two new employees, both on different rates. This is in a new business I only started last week. Or a new division so to speak. Been chasing the contract for months and got given it suddenly when another firm dropped out. My spreadsheet didn't allow for 2 new employees. Nor for a new division. This is only a small example. I've also brought in one more business partner for the same division. I'm taking on company vehicles but aren't equipped to even take down mileage, fuel cards use, etc. Unless I create yet ANOTHER spreadsheet. For example, I'm also starting up a container hire business. Keeping track of container numbers, locations, size, length of hire, discounts, etc. You get the idea. I've only given highlights, it gets more complicated. I wish I could've started things more gradually but business is messy like that.

I did play around with Access templates this morning and it can possibly work. Will check it out further

This doesn't sound like anything you should be programming yourself, can only imagine it leading to issues. This sounds like what pretty much every commercial bussines has to deal with. I'm sure it will be much more productive if you spent your item researching off the shelf software than trying to program it you self.

Creating your own software is normally the last thing you ever want to do, fen IR the existing software sucks and you know you could do better yourself without too much time, it will always cost you huge amounts of unexpected time and cause endless grief. You can't afford for a small big in your code to ruin all your data/contacts/bussiness.

However if you really need to code something then I suggest Python as some thing quick and easy to get stuff working.

Soldato
OP
I'd be very happy to buy off-the-shelf software but just can't find any that's extendable enough to fit into my requirements. SAP is a good potential but can't seem to download a trial version to check it out. I've also looked at Databuild, and a few other BPM packages but nothing fits. Very good for one business but nothing that caters for diverse multiple divisions that 'sometimes' overlap, but mostly not.

Associate
Sage or Quickbooks should be able to do your basic accounting. You can get a Payroll add-on for Sage, but there is also free basic PAYE tools available from HMRC for less than 10 employees.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/softwaredevelopers/paye/rti-software-forms.htm

You MUST get the regulatory stuff right - if you fall foul of HMRC you will be in big do-do.

What's common with accounting software is having to write a bespoke front-end to deal with what you well.

Soldato
OP
I'm actually in NZ but with ya on the regulatory stuff. I still can't believe how much of a paperwork avalanche it is simply employing someone.

Iv'e handed over all my payroll, GST (like VAT), employee tax contributions, etc to my accountant until I can figure something out.

Still keen on the idea of writing my own system, even if it takes me a year. I have this crystal clear vision of what I need and pretty sure I can do it. I'll run it parallel with all my other admin once in 'beta' to see if the numbers add up.

Soldato
Python and Stack Overflow. However without the underlying knowledge, stringing together code you don't understand is no way to build software. A silly bug could be the difference between you paying the government the correct amount of tax and ending up in court. Likewise if you aren't well versed in the laws concerning this stuff then you could pay the incorrect amount of tax even if the code is solid. Like other people have suggested, I recommend you further research existing solutions or just pay someone else to write it.

Still keen on the idea of writing my own system, even if it takes me a year.

If your business continues to grow then you won't have time to be coding and no one will touch your monolithic turd, which is now deeply ingrained within your business, with a barge pole unless you pay them an incredibly handsome sum.

Associate
NZ isn't past the end of the civilised world. There must be simply, not too expensive packages that will handle the payroll and so on. However it might be easier & cheaper to continue paying the accountant to deal with it.

Soldato
OP
So I guess coding this myself is out :p

Saying that, I've already started designing a UI but realistically will probably end up employing someone to sweat all the details. Tax and GST (VAT) is all done by the accountant anyway so no major crisis there.

Soldato
You can still write some software to improve the efficiency of your business, but rewriting an accounts package that is already available is a waste of your resources.

There will be loads of little things that take more time that is really needed but there isnt a commercial solution for it because it's not worth the outlay.
For example, anywhere that requires your employees to copy/paste info (maybe sending emails/attachments to clients) you could write a little app to integrate with outlook and can create an email with the message body already entered and the attachment included in a single click.

Little projects like that mean that it's easier to manage for you working at it on your own. It's easier to work in a modular approach, getting little improvements out quickly.

Back
Top Bottom