Real life viewing distances?

Associate
Any any of you lot viewing a 55" from around 12ft or so?

New house, new lounge, new TV time.
Viewing distance is around 12ft.
I've read up on ideal viewing distances etc and this would apparently put me in the 65" category (there is space for it on the wall.)
Toss up between smaller but better screen or larger screen with less bells and whistles for similar money.
Not really asking for actual TV recommendations but not likely to use sky/virgin etc but probably Netflix and Amazon Prime and PS4.

Ta

Man of Honour
IMO, better screen wins over bigger but worse screen so long as 'better' actually make a difference during viewing.

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel that a big screen would be better, although my eyesight ain't great so I'd prefer a projector than a smaller tv.

I do wonder if you'd see the difference of 4k footage from 12ft on a 55" tv. I usually sit that distance from the TV.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.
Think I'm edging towards a 65“ now (especially has we had a few friends over last night and heard that their lounge was similar size and they bought a 55“ and wish they had gone bigger!)

Cheers

Cheers

Soldato
Just to throw something into the mix, I was looking at a 4k projector (the 'fake' type) and viewsonic have the PX-727-4K for £900 at richer sounds. Although having a projector would mean a separate sound system and some sort of mounts or place to position it.
I reckon you can get a good 90" screen from 3m away with it.

Soldato
I would say go with bigger, I sit around 13.5 feet away from our TV and we got a 60. Needless to say I'm now trying to convince the wife (or get the kids to break it) that we need a 75 instead. Fwiw I found it obvious when switching from 4k to 1080p.

Soldato
Man I feel so inferior, biggest screen I have is 40" :o

Although how does normal tv look on these big screens, sky for example is still only 1080i isn't it on HD channels how does that look on a 65" 4k?

Soldato
I sit about 6 feet away from my 55inch.
Still with parents so its in my room at the end of my bed.
To be fair, I'd probably sit even closer once I move out about 5 feet.
2hgqucw.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have since up my current 9 year old 37" panny plasma that was in my old place.
Almost looks like a postage stamp against the wall :(.
1st world problems etc etc!

Associate
OP
Rearranging the room isn't actually a bad idea and is doable, sort of.
It's a hard wood floor with large corner sofa and no furniture between it and the tv. It's on slider casters so can easily slide about if required.
So in theory can leave it all "as is" but bring it forward a few feet for more of a cinematic feel when watching a movie on the odd occasion.
Don't think I could justify anything more than a 65". Been looking at those distance graphs and it's all for "ideal" views etc so I can deal with being a bit out!:D
Ta!

Soldato
What you really want is the 65" for every day viewing and then a projector screen that drops down over it for movie/boxset viewing!

That from someone who's house will probably never have bigger than a 40" screen in it!

Back
Top Bottom