Realistic Voice comms in gaming

Soldato
Do realistic voice comms in games exist?

Something like proximity voice chat where you talk and only people near you can hear (including enemies) and you have to use a radio to communicate with team mates who are further away.

It would be a lot better in Warzone for example if you could talk / shout to nearby teammates but enemies could also hear if they were close. Or if you used a radio to communicate but this could also be heard by enemies.

Dead players also shouldnt be able to talk!

I know other apps like discord could be used so maybe something to detect and block outside voice comms

Soldato
Hell Let Loose.

Commander and squad leaders have a channel which only they can hear.

Squad members have a channel only their squad can hear.

Then there's proximity based local chat which anyone on your team can hear.

Unfortunately enemies can't hear anything, would be an interesting change to the game though!

Man of Honour
I know other apps like discord could be used so maybe something to detect and block outside voice comms

Waste of time - people can just use a mobile phone or tablet, etc. for voice comms instead of the device they are playing on, etc. etc. and many people might be using other voice comms for stuff outside the game they are playing as well so it wouldn't go down well - lots of people for instance will play other games while idling in Eve Online waiting for fleet events, etc. with voice comms in the background ready to go for Eve.

There was a whole drama over that with I think Hunt Showdown which has range based, etc. voice comms and people wanted external voice comms banned for that reason.

Associate
Do realistic voice comms in games exist?

Something like proximity voice chat where you talk and only people near you can hear (including enemies) and you have to use a radio to communicate with team mates who are further away.

It would be a lot better in Warzone for example if you could talk / shout to nearby teammates but enemies could also hear if they were close. Or if you used a radio to communicate but this could also be heard by enemies.

Dead players also shouldnt be able to talk!

Yep, this is in Contractors VR

Soldato
OP
Thanks all. So whilst it appears to be used or at least some games are trying to use it, people will always want to try and cheat the system by other means :( - Background apps, simply calling each other on phones or guess also gaming in the same room and talking to each other in person.
Gaming could be a lot more fun if there were no cheating ****s. Choose the word you like

Soldato
I think The Division has something like that, and I know of some other games with similar.
You could always disable it in the Options or just switch to a private comms channel, though, so pretty pointless.

Soldato
Things like this would only work in Co-op. PVP you will just get people using Discord and the like and there'll be no way to ban/block it successfully.

I like the implementation in Phasmophobia where not only is it directional and distance based but has voice recognition too.

Soldato
OP
It would be nice if games had some sort of notice about fair play and cheating taking fun out of games.

An interesting and probably very fun game idea would be where multiple players (say 30) were on an island / other similar environment and first had to find other teammates by talking/shouting to each other and leaving a trail or clues... then working as a team to get off the island or just survive it for so long - a sort of game version of shipwrecked. Maybe everyone works together, maybe the team splits into groups or you just go off by yourself. A survival / comms / exploration type thing where you die after a few days without water, get weaker if you dont have food and generally dont last long if you don't work together.

Soldato
To be fair coms within the Arma series and all of the subsequent mods and standalone games imo have been exceptional.

the local proximity chat is fantastic especially with they way the integrate with radios ect.

If your talking down a ham radio to someone anyone within a close proximity of you will be able to hear you and the guy on the other end would be able to hear you and depending on how they were projecting the audio anyone in their local vicinity would also be able to hear you.

It really was a great system because it mimicked reality quite well.

Back
Top Bottom