Reality has hit home

Soldato
Some studies say that the natural lifespan of a human is around 40 years, so I guess we are already on extra time (I'm over 40 so yeah)
Without modern medicine and etc etc.

Even in the ancient times if people made it past childhood where the death rate was massive they often lived to much older than 40.

Caporegime
I need to outlive the expiry date not the plastic bit.

I also survived Bikes with only a broken shoulder and fractured ankle at 25 - 50 seemed like out in space then.

My licence is up again next year providing the Eye Doc doesn't says otherwise.

Nice to know I am not the only one in the same boat.

Hagar you are only just up the road from me then :)

I think it's best you decide to hang up the license rather than have it taken off you.

It sounds like you shouldn't be driving as it currently stands with being deaf and blind and your reactions aren't going to be anywhere near what they should be especially with your dodgy knees.

Soldato
OP
I am not deaf by any means and my eyes are bad for shooting - I can see and hear most thing but not as clear as it used to be - Glasses and hearing aids do help a great deal but I understand your queries.
My car is auto so one leg for each pedal :)

Caporegime
I am not deaf by any means and my eyes are bad for shooting - I can see and hear most thing but not as clear as it used to be - Glasses and hearing aids do help a great deal but I understand your queries.
My car is auto so one leg for each pedal :)

It's just I've seen old folk who refuse to give up their license and I can't dread but think of the consequences one day. My father in law's sister has wrote off 4 cars in about 3 years for instance.

She shouldn't be driving IMO. But it's her mental state which is the issue rather than her eyes or anything else other than age.

It's best to hang it up before it gets to the stage it's taken off you because by that time it's likely something terrible has happened.

Some people are fine in old age and others are a ticking time bomb. They really need to start mandatory testing every say 5 years once you hit 60.

Saying that there was a car crash involving teenagers the other day doing 150mph in a range rover so it's not just old folk that pose a real danger but irresponsible young drivers too.

Soldato
When I work out how long I want my pension to last 80-82 seems like a nice cut off point really. Not sure I want to hang around much longer than that.
At 56 I already feel old. I do quite fancy another motorbike though...

My current passport expires in 2026, the same year as the OP's new debit card. I'll be 47, well into middle age.

I often wonder what proportion of us will live long enough in order to become pensionable. It's currently at 67 or 68 but it keeps going up, so a lot of us will be chasing an ever-increasing number. It might be 80 by the time we hit 80 and most of us will be dead by then. I guess us paying into the system and not getting a penny back will help with the covid debt. Slightly.

Soldato
My current passport expires in 2026, the same year as the OP's new debit card. I'll be 47, well into middle age.

I often wonder what proportion of us will live long enough in order to become pensionable. It's currently at 67 or 68 but it keeps going up, so a lot of us will be chasing an ever-increasing number. It might be 80 by the time we hit 80 and most of us will be dead by then. I guess us paying into the system and not getting a penny back will help with the covid debt. Slightly.
What's annoying me is government meddling with pension age for your own private pension. It's made me put more money into my ISAs and other investments because I now have no idea if they are suddenly going to change that to 60-something in the next few years and kill off people's hopes of retiring at a reasonable age.

Associate
A couple of weeks ago my debit card played up then last week gave up altogether so ordered a new one.
It came yesterday and looking it over the expiry date was 04 26'
I am now wondering which one of us is going to get there -In 2026 I in theory will be 82.

It rather odd feeling thinking your debit card will out live you.

So my goal is now to stay alive so we both get there. - I have high BP -partially deaf -one eye on way out - knees going but other than that I seem healthy - but as everyone knows the poo can hit the fan at any time. :D
Scared of getting old!

Soldato
I am knocking on a bit now, but if been dead is the same as it was before we were born then what's to fear, as long as you live life as much as is possible, I feel fitter than I was at 20 or 30 or 40 or 50 (you get the drift)
Also drink lots of red wine it helps you blank out the bad bits

Soldato
What's annoying me is government meddling with pension age for your own private pension. It's made me put more money into my ISAs and other investments because I now have no idea if they are suddenly going to change that to 60-something in the next few years and kill off people's hopes of retiring at a reasonable age.
Yes my son's sticking a lot more into his ISA than he is in to his SIPP. at least he'll have a choice when he wants HIS money.

Soldato
Yes my son's sticking a lot more into his ISA than he is in to his SIPP. at least he'll have a choice when he wants HIS money.
Yeah I'd always done 60/40 SIPP/ISA up until that stupid announcement. I was incandescent when I saw it. :mad:

I reckon the tax relief will be in the crosshairs for clawing back COVID cash anyway so it'll probably not turn out to be too much of a loss long term when weighing it up against the flexibility.

Soldato
Somewhat related

I noticed the printer we use at work is older than some of our employees now...

We finally got the office pc updated from a Pentium D machine with 2gb of ram to a core 2 duo with 4gb though, so cant complain.

Soldato
Yeah I'd always done 60/40 SIPP/ISA up until that stupid announcement. I was incandescent when I saw it. :mad:

I reckon the tax relief will be in the crosshairs for clawing back COVID cash anyway so it'll probably not turn out to be too much of a loss long term when weighing it up against the flexibility.
Time is much more important than money as you get older. If the SIPP is tied to the state pension where you can only get it ten years before whatever date they put that up to then it is very restrictive. He's currently doing 80% ISA / 20% SIPP so if he wants to stop work early he will be able to. Ideally the government want you to die just before or shortly after state pension age...

I noticed the printer we use at work is older than some of our employees now...

Weird isn't it.

I've got a couple of BBC Micros kicking about, one original from 1981 and a modded Beeb that can take USB, and even the modded unit is older than most of the department who I work with.

Hell, my Raspberry Pi and my spare Samsung SII are both on the brink of out-living most primary aged children!

Man of Honour
What's just as scary is the number of older people on this forum. I joined it pre-nuke when I was just about in my late 20's. I'm now in my early 50's and many people here are older. We used to be a forum of young people but we got old. Sad face.

Soldato
Hagar you are only just up the road from me then :)

I think our threads have crossed before :) but as my memory isn't what it was, I can't remember which. It may have been important at the time. Any way its good to have a name check now and then.

Since I retired I have hardly driven at all and i am mainly to be seen on (unpowered) two wheels in town or on the canal towpath. Covid put a dent in that but summer is coming. ;)

Cheers and good luck. Driving is so 20th century.

Soldato
OP
Hagar - You mentioned your trips from Nantwich so just assumed you were not far from me.

I retired at 55 - took company redundancy package + a bit of health problems -All of which seemed to go after retirement - Especially the cronic headaches. - I never realised how much I hated working -- Did have to take a part time job till 65 and got state pension which helps a lot -My real goal is, as I worked for 40 yrs I really want to claim 40 yrs of state pension so need to get to 105. Not on though.

Soldato
A few weeks ago I had to have an angiogram, whilst there I got talking to a 90 year old man who was there to have a new pacemaker fitted. He told me they get replaced every 10 years. As he left he waved to the nurses and said “See you in 10 years”. ******* legend :cool:

Back
Top Bottom