Really need help configuring a Pre-Build

Associate
Hello everyone.

I have to confess to knowing very little about computers and am not brave enough to dip my toe into building my own machine quite yet. I know what I want, but am finding it hard to configure a system to meet my aims.

I use my current PC mostly for gaming and storage of music and photos. I'm hoping to get a machine that can cope with AAA gaming, 1440p - partly to try and ensure it will serve me a good few years.

I've heard good things about the 2070 Super, so have focused on that. Ideally I'd like to run two monitors, my current old one, but a new one that is for gaming at 1440p. Recommendations received gratefully. Probably around £200-£300?

Super 2070k
I7-9700k (heard good things about this. Would be happy with lower if not too much loss in performance/future proofing. Would consider AMD as well, but heard of a few issues recently. Did they get fixed?)
16gb ram
512 SSD for main games and OS. Think there are different types, not sure what is best/budget friendly.
2tb for pics and music and slower applications.
Ideally wifi and blu tooth so I can stream music.
Would be good to have a cd/DVD writer.
Case - like all the bright colours, but ultimately focusing on airflow as suspect I'll need my money for components.
Motherboard - no idea here. Whatever copes with the above.
Will need Windows and possibly Office for work.

Can anyone get that into one of the Overclocker pre-builds and help cover my blindspots like cooling requirements, motherboard, power supply etc. My original budget was £1200 for the build. But I think that is too low. Perhaps £2k including monitor. Any lower would be good of course...

Sorry for long message and would be so very grateful for any help. I work for the NHS and at the moment I'm finding gaming a great release!

Cheers,

Paul

Associate
1440P gaming is mainly dependant on the GPU. 2070 Super is currently the best performing gfx card without being overly expensive. But this loses out to the RX 5700 XT in the value department (I think the 2070 Super is only 10% faster but at £100 cost).

At 1440p the speed between the upper higher end CPUs will be marginal to non existent. A Ryzen 7 3700x would be of better value as it offers 8 cores and 16 threads (9700k is 8C8T) at a lower price and the motherboards are cheaper as well. If you are looking to buy later in the year and insistent on Intel then take a look are the new intel Core i7 10700K as it will be 8C16T and "should" be similar price to the i7 9700K

As for SSD any will do. But at these current prices you might as well go Nvme. The speed gain is very high .....even though realistically you wouldn't really see a difference.

Soldato
Something like this would work:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,743.98 (includes shipping: £18.12)​

You can ask OCUK to build the spec for you, which they'll do for a fee and of course you'll have full warranty through them by doing so. I'm not sure what said fee will be, but I expect your system will be under the £2000 mark regardless.

The only thing you'd need to do yourself is install Windows 10, which is very easily done via USB, you can get keys for very little.

You might want to query when/if they'll get some of the parts back in stock, there's availability issues at the moment for a lot of stuff unfortunately.

Went with an AMD build, there's very little reason to go with Intel right now, AMD has much better price/performance and the 3700X will have better longevity when compared to the more expensive 9700K.

Associate
OP
I really appreciate your feedback - you've given me some good food for thought. I had thought the i7-9700k the better option for me, but your comments on the AMD 3700k were interesting and I think I may go with it.

In terms of connectivity - should I look for internal components to ensure wi-fi/blu tooth is possible? I'm not sure where the new system will live, so may need to reply on wireless for a while. Likewise with blu-tooth. I was thinking of getting a dongle to put in one of the USB slots - but they seem to fill up quite quickly. So I wonder if I should add it inside - if so, what would I need to add/adjust to what's been suggested so far?

In terms of cooling - is there a general thing to look for? My PC tends to sit in a more enclosed space (with some airflow around). I notice in Gray's build the case has fans included and he has added cooling. Whereas Charlatan's don't include any cooling, part from what the case has installed in it. What would be the thing to look for here? I see all sorts of water cooling etc, but I don't know what sort of requirement is realistic in a build such as this.

I hadn't appreciated that some stick was quite so low.

Thanks again for any help. It is so nice to have such a forum for those uneducated such as myself!

Paul

Soldato
If you want Wireless and Bluetooth there are motherboards that come with both built in, such as the following:

Total: £139.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

The cases suggested in both builds will have excellent cooling, although the one I suggested comes with more fans built in. The components you're looking at don't run particularly hot anyway, the heatsink I suggested in my build could be considered a little overkill for the 3700X in honesty, but you've the budget for it and it will be of benefit over the stock.

Associate
OP
Sorry, one additional ask. I was looking to include a CD/DVD writer. Is there something recommended - and will the cases noted accommodate it?

Associate
Sorry, one additional ask. I was looking to include a CD/DVD writer. Is there something recommended - and will the cases noted accommodate it?

Nope. 90% of the recent cases that come out no longer have 5.25" bays. So no more internal CD/DVD Writers. Only option is now external USB CD/DVD writers which are fairly cheap now

Associate
OP
So, based on the excellent help I've received, I've come up with this. I've taken ideas from what people have said and amended a few items to those in stock.

Does this look ok? Will it cope with high end gaming ok? Have I made a terrible mistake with any part I've added?

Regards Windows 10 - I've seen a few people mention getting it from keys? I'm assuming that's legit? Where would I look for that?

Next plan - find a good monitor!

Thanks once again people. Much appreciated.

Total: £1,513.03 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Soldato
At that price level you should be looking towards absolutely future proof 2x16GB instead of R(idiculously) G(rossly) B(loated) overpriced basic size kit.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs432g320c6k-my-106-pa.html
Myself wouldn't pay more than £100 for basic 2x8GB.

That Coolerhamster is another Ridiculously Grossly Bloated price product.
It's at the level of half cheaper Arctic Freezer 34.
And plenty of other in stock products
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpe...ced-black-rgb-cpu-cooler-130mm-hs-05b-al.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/alpenfohn-brocken-eco-advanced-cpu-cooler-120-mm-hs-05j-al.html

And there are expandable/upgradable cases with 5.25" bays, including having those bays hidden behind doorwhen not in use:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=silent+base+600

Associate
OP

Thanks for your input EsaT.

I've found this case which seems to have ok cooling and a bay for a cd/dvd writer. I have seen a few others, but for some, cooling looks an issue. Just need to have a talk with myself and see if an extra £20 for the case is worth not having to have an external drive lying about!

I hear what you say regards 32gb RAM. I have indeed pondered it, but most resources say it is overkill currently. I want to future proof, but just need to keep an eye of my budget. Unfortunately, the ones you noted are out of stock and I've tried to focus on components that are available.

I'll think about your comments on the cooler. The ones you have noted are indeed cheaper and the reviews I've found suggest they are reasonable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom