Realtek ALC888 Onboard sound crashes

Soldato
I recently upgraded to an Asrock DUAL-VSTA LGA775 board with Realtek ALC888 onboard sound. I did have a Creative Audigy 2 soundcard but that was causing a lot of crashes and I read that it was having compatibility issues with this motherboard so I decided to ditch it and use the onboard sound. The only thing I'm losing is the SPDIF out to my speakers but I can live with that.

With the audigy 2 I would start up COD2 and it would distort the sound and crash almost immediately. This was after disabling the onboard sound in the BIOS. The distortions were odd echoey almost effects that lasted for less then a second each. After about 5 seconds the machine would crash.

Now however I can get into the game and it will play fine for a minute or two but then I will get solid sound like a loud deep whirr for a second or two. These get worse and worse until after 3 or 4 of them it goes into a solid whirr and I have to reset the computer.

I have the latest drivers from the Realtek website and apart from that my machine is stable. I have both the CPU and the gfx card overclocked but both are at stable speeds.

Can anyone help me out? This is the last problem I have with this upgrade. Everything apart from this odd sound problem is fixed.

Back
Top Bottom