• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Recent Intel Flaws

Soldato
They should take it back because it is faulty.
Homework required to buy a CPU? So a consumer is expected to know everything about a product before buying it?? get at life mate..

When you buy a car, don't you first look online for potential issues and customer reviews?
So yes at this certain age, and always since the 90s, it does require to do your homework when buying computer parts. If you did it due to ignorance, then there is no excuse, especially in 2019 where takes 1 minute to do a google search.

Soldato
When you buy a car, don't you first look online for potential issues and customer reviews?
So yes at this certain age, and always since the 90s, it does require to do your homework when buying computer parts. If you did it due to ignorance, then there is no excuse, especially in 2019 where takes 1 minute to do a google search.

I don't think that comparison works. I can tell you now most car's sold are bought by people who likes the way it looks, do zero research and buy it after a 5 minute test drive (car's have warranties that cover issues anyway). Additionally, new cars that have just released have no data to research in the first place, just like new technology

Associate
OP

A 1 minute google on a Core i7 8700k processor wouldn't bring up reviews that say "oh by the way the chip has fantastic performance but it doesn't have any hardware protection against security exploits", you can do all the homework you want but until you get a product in your hands and use it for yourself all reviews are pretty much worthless.
So referring back to the OP, the CPU to me is inherently flawed and Intel knows about this and the recent flaws but continues to sell it like nothing is wrong, thankfully we have Consumer Rights Act which addresses the shortcomings of marketing that sells you all the highs and none of the lows.

Associate
If we're doing car analogies is it not a given the child locks locks work without needing to research how many children inadvertently spilled from the car? The same applies to a cpu, you shouldn't need to research if it's leaking your data all over the shop because of an inherant design flaw. The typical cpu research is how fast can it run my programs, the end. The car would be returned as not fit for purpose with the onus on the vendor either repairing, replacing or failing that refunding. The same applies to the cpu, they can't sell it with a feature and then say sorry, you have to turn it off.

Sounds rather familiar actually, remember the ps3 linux debacle?
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ps3-other-os-settlement-claim-how-to/

Soldato
Well dunno about you guys but over here if Intel turns off my hyperthreading then in theory that’s false advertising and organisation for consumer protections does not like false advertising

Soldato
but it doesn't have any hardware protection against security exploits

One difference between the 9th gen and the 8th gen is hardware protection against some of these security exploits, which were mentioned a while ago.

As the others say, sell it, take the hit, and move on with Zen2. Alternatively you could start a crusade by calling your local Citizen's Advice for returning faulty goods under legislation. However this is very time consuming and in the end it might be difficult to prove that these new security flaws can easily threat general home usage.

To be honest I don't give a **** about these exploits for home usage. These threats are a lot less severe than those 0 day exploits of Windows 10. The 8700K is still a decent choice for gaming.

For future purchases, to counter buyer's remorse, you could initiate a return request as unwanted for every order you make on the 14th day after delivery, so that you always have about one month of cooling-off period. 99% of the time I end up not returning anything, even if I initiate the return request, but this procedure gives you maximum rights.

Associate
OP
One difference between the 9th gen and the 8th gen is hardware protection against some of these security exploits, which were mentioned a while ago.

As the others say, sell it, take the hit, and move on with Zen2. Alternatively you could start a crusade by calling your local Citizen's Advice for returning faulty goods under legislation. However this is very time consuming and in the end it might be difficult to prove that these new security flaws can easily threat general home usage.

To be honest I don't give a **** about these exploits for home usage. These threats are a lot less severe than those 0 day exploits of Windows 10. The 8700K is still a decent choice for gaming.

For future purchases, to counter buyer's remorse, you could initiate a return request as unwanted for every order you make on the 14th day after delivery, so that you always have about one month of cooling-off period. 99% of the time I end up not returning anything, even if I initiate the return request, but this procedure gives you maximum rights.

That's a good strategy for returns but this isn't a case of buyers remorse, I love the 8700k but when I'm running vms for work and development that involve sensitive data I don't think it's acceptable that they continue to sell the processors to consumers without an adequate warning. I would not have brought this processor if I had known what Intel had known months ago.

Back
Top Bottom