Recommend a good Windows backup program? Was using Macrium Reflect, but free version ending and paid version is expensive!

Soldato
More than happy to pay (need at least two license), but free would be even better. Ideally need to shedule backups, and be able to restore drives and partitions from those backups. Having ability to even restore individual folders/files even better.

Someone recommended me Paragon, which seems to be £70 for three license? Their free version doesn't seem to offer restoring individual drives/partitions?

Soldato
If it ain't broke why fix it, is the free version not doing what you want it to?

Personally i add Macrium to the recovery menu/WinRE image so i can reboot into the program and don't have to bother with having it installed in Windows. (Setting up a custom tool to the Windows RE Advanced startup menu is pretty easy if you're OK with the command line and stuff)

Soldato
OP
Understood, but it's surely just delaying the inevitable? In 2yrs will MR still be wise to use with no support? And I certainly won't be paying for it at that price per PC.

So why not start to move to that different program now?

Soldato
That's a problem for tomorrows Murphy. :)

Like i said though it doesn't really effect me as i just make a Macrium rescue ISO and copy the program into the WinRE image.

Soldato
Edited - sorry my suggestion appears to be network based so probably not suitable.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've used FreeFileSync for years. Works perfectly for my personal data.

As for OS drive image backups, Winodws Backup creates a VHD system image of whatever you select. The VHD can then be browsed like a USB drive at any point, or you can do a direct restore to a new drive if your OS drive fails etc.

Soldato
I've used FreeFileSync for years. Works perfectly for my personal data.

As for OS drive image backups, Winodws Backup creates a VHD system image of whatever you select. The VHD can then be browsed like a USB drive at any point, or you can do a direct restore to a new drive if your OS drive fails etc.
Same here FreeFileSync for file replication. Though they seem to determined to make that app worse with every update.

Don't bother with true backups. Prefer to do a clean install. But it's only personal systems. No production machines.

Soldato
I really like the free home use version of Veeam. It creates the bootable media for you and you can just restore. It really depends what features you need. I wanted to store the image on my NAS and be able to create a boot disk with network drivers in it to restore from. I have a daily backup for changed files (though I do use the cloud a lot so really, in all honesty, just a restore of the OS would do me in the event of a failure).

There's also a free version for Linux if you need it.

M.

Back
Top Bottom