Recommend a gpu please ?

Associate
My uncle is trying to work with large high resolution photos ( 26mb and 6240x4160 ) and it lags...

He has an intel quad core 3.6ghz processor and 16gb of ram

I suggested he gets a discrete gpu as his current one is built into the cpu. Is this good advice ?
He has a 500w psu. Any recommendations?

specs here
https://flic.kr/p/2jgawGc

Would a new cpu help ?

Last edited:
Associate
I think you'll need to provide more system info, i.e. the CPu era, memory architecture and the current GPU would be a bare minimum to allow people to step in and advise. Once you start upgrading, you might need a new case, PSU, SSD etc as well, but you've not given us much to go on...

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Ok would more ram not help?

he doesn’t have the 8pin or 16pin connector from his psu for the gpu so I’m guessing he’s quite restricted?

which cpu would you recommend

Soldato
There’s really no point upgrading on the FM2+ platform. You’d just be throwing good money after bad. Any CPU you can buy for it will still be very weak. Much better at this point to start again on AM4.

Soldato
Working with 6240x4160 photos on a 1680 x 1050 monitor and with those specs, I think your Uncle might need to have a rethink of his whole setup.

You could get a new GPU and SSD but in all honesty I would recommend going for a complete new tower and even a new monitor.

Associate
working with photos has nothing to do with GPU, weird as it may sound.
You will be limited mainly by CPU, memory speed, sometimes memory size. Noticeable lag could be happening because you are running out of memory and it starts swapping

SSD is a good advice for quicker loading, but it won't make too much difference with 26mb images

Back
Top Bottom