Recommend a router/modem combo

Soldato
Looking for a router with a built in ADSL modem and say 4 ethernet ports, don't need wireless as everything I want to network is wthin 3 metres of each other, ideally I'd like one that's easy to set up and wouldn't give me any hassle with connecting to bt broadband, I also take it that any machine connected to it would be able to access the Internet straight away without having to have a host computer, at the moment my mac is connected to my pc with a cross over cable and the pc has to be on for the mac to go online, also want to hook my xbox up to the router as well.

Thanks.

Soldato
I didnt think i would use a wireless router, but i got the Xbox360 and needed it as my router is upstairs and Xbox360 downstairs.

For the price i would invest in a Wireless router.

I now use the Belkin F5D7633

It has 4 ethernet ports and is obviously wireless aswell.

You can disable the wireless part if your not using it.

Soldato
You can't go wrong with a DG834G. It has wireless but who cares, it may come in handy some day and you can get it for under £60 which is great.

For the price, your not going to get much better.

I know nothing about the xbox so I can't say if the 360 has issues with that router.

Go hunt for one and you won't be disapointed.

Associate
The mood seems to be that the Belkin 7633 is better than the Netgear for MAX-ADSL if you're a long way from the exchange. I don't know much about this myself other than to say the Belkin 7633, here, seems fine so far.

Soldato
Own both a Belkin 7633 and a NetGear DG834G. The Belkin is superior to the Netgear, except wireless where the Netgear is marginally (2-5%) better.

Soldato
Bull said:
The mood seems to be that the Belkin 7633 is better than the Netgear for MAX-ADSL if you're a long way from the exchange. I don't know much about this myself other than to say the Belkin 7633, here, seems fine so far.
Hmm, where have you heard that the Belkin was good on long lines? I currently have DG834G, but like most people I have a very unstable SNR with it, it ranges from 12-25 :eek:

Don’t get me wrong, my connection is 100% stable, but I don't want my varying SNR to affect my transition over to MAX in a month or so :rolleyes:

Anymore info on the Belkin would be appreciated ;)

Cheers,

SW.

Associate
sam.wheale said:
Hmm, where have you heard that the Belkin was good on long lines? I currently have DG834G, but like most people I have a very unstable SNR with it, it ranges from 12-25 :eek:

Don’t get me wrong, my connection is 100% stable, but I don't want my varying SNR to affect my transition over to MAX in a month or so :rolleyes:

Anymore info on the Belkin would be appreciated ;)

Cheers,

SW.
This is what I've read here and at http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk. Although somebody there has found something , apparently, better again. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Bull said:
This is what I've read here and at http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk. Although somebody there has found something , apparently, better again. :rolleyes:
The TI AR7 is used in the NetGear DG834G - so no, it's not better ;).

@ sam.wheale - The Belkin allowed me to sync 1.5Mbits up on the Netgear thanks to the wandering SNR. With the Belkin, my SNR is rock solid (wanders 0.2dB-1.0dB in a day, that's all, as opposed to the Netgears 14dB walkabout).

Last edited:
Associate
smids said:
Own both a Belkin 7633 and a NetGear DG834G. The Belkin is superior to the Netgear, except wireless where the Netgear is marginally (2-5%) better.

Hi,
I want to buy a new router but would prefer to keep it a wired one as i like playing games online. This Belkin 7633 looks good, but are you sure you can use it in wired mode like normal routers of the past. Or am i missing something here?
Thanks, Danny.

Soldato
isthisusername said:
Hi,
What does that mean? I just want a 'wired modem' suppose is one way of putting it. I don't need the 'router' bit, but I like the look of this product.
How many computers do you want to connect to the internet?
The Belkin is an ADSL modem which has the ability to connect with both wireless (32 or 100 - I can't remember which!) and wired products (4). You say you don't need the router - so you are connecting one computer only? Then perhaps look at the Speedtouch 536 - one ethernet wired port with built in modem but uses the same good chipset as the Belkin, the Broadcom BCM6348.

Associate
Hi Smids,
Yes, connecting just one computer. So I can connect\wire my computer to the Belkin modem?
Had a look at the Speedtouch site and I see the 536 there.
There is also a 516 model which says single user. Do you know if this has the BCM6348 chipset. I might email them but doubt I'll get a useful response.
Thanks, Danny.

Soldato
isthisusername said:
Hi Smids,
Yes, connecting just one computer. So I can connect\wire my computer to the Belkin modem?
Had a look at the Speedtouch site and I see the 536 there.
There is also a 516 model which says single user. Do you know if this has the BCM6348 chipset. I might email them but doubt I'll get a useful response.
Thanks, Danny.
You can indeed wire to the internet on the Belkin and you have the option of wireless later and connecting more wired computers (up to 4). I don't believe the 516 is the same chipset - the 536/546/585 all are though I think.

Back
Top Bottom