Recommend me a 2 in 1 laptop

Soldato
Hi Guys

Im looking for some advice, i'm looking for a recommendation on a 2 in 1 laptop something like the lenovo yoga.

I was thinking of getting a Ipad and a keyboard the issues is im use to using windows and im not sure if a ipad would be as good but at the same time I dont want to be carrying a brick and want something that would break easily or under powered like in the past model.

A few people have suggested a ipad pro but I dont have the budget for that.

Budget, I'm looking for something under £350 if possible because its wont be my main computer. I dont mind going used if i can save some money.

any advice is welcome.

Soldato
I would suggest something like a used Surface Pro. I'm not all that into the idea of 2-in-1s, I think they often aren't very capable as a full PC. But the Surface lineup runs desktop Windows and has sensible performance. Plus the keyboard is a solid attachment which closes like a laptop and is reasonably good for typing.

They're the standard office PC at my work and they do the job well enough. Looks like a 4th gen i5 model (Pro 3, we're up to 6 now I think) can be had for ~£300 used.

Associate
What is it you are going to be using it for? as you have a powerful pc anyway is this just for on the go or work?

Have a look at the Surface Go, ultimately you are not going to be getting anything blazing fast at £350 but the Surface Go should be good quality and sufficient for most on the go tasks.

Soldato
OP
What is it you are going to be using it for? as you have a powerful pc anyway is this just for on the go or work?

Have a look at the Surface Go, ultimately you are not going to be getting anything blazing fast at £350 but the Surface Go should be good quality and sufficient for most on the go tasks.
Like you have said I have a powerful main pc to use at home if I need it. this would just be the go or when I dont want to use main pc. This will just be basic stuff as you would use any laptop (office, basic photoshop, video editing email other apps )

In basic I would want be able to the what a older it laptop could do I dont want anything like a gaming laptop but i dont want anything rubbish like the Pentium atom or nvidia that use to be available

To be honest I'm going to look for a used one to save some cash as its 2nd use. If I go for a new one I would need to do a little more research and may even up the budget

Soldato
OP
Would the surface be better then something like a hp, lenovo or Dell?

I was thinking of something like a surface book but that would be outside what I really want to spend even used

Also a lot of the used ones I've seen seam to have screen faults is this a common issue with surface ?

Would a used surface pro 4 not very better option

Associate
Would the surface be better then something like a hp, lenovo or Dell?
Depends on the spec and price tbh, all manufacturers have expensive devices and cheap devices, the expensive ones are generaly faster and are built with higher quality materials.
The cheaper ones can be fast depending on spec but usualy feel cheap as the materials they are made from are cheaper.
If you are looking at the £350 price point then most will be roughlt the same quality but i would say watch some youtube reviews of what you are thinking of buying.

I was thinking of something like a surface book but that would be outside what I really want to spend even used
Surface books are great, i have a 13.5" surface book 2 provided by work but they are very expensive, i think it is over £2k. You may be able to get a first gen surface second hand if you are willing to pay £500-£600.

Also a lot of the used ones I've seen seam to have screen faults is this a common issue with surface ?
Like any device, faults are possible, my company predominantly use Surface Books or Surface Laptops and several of my colleagues have them and none of us have had any issues with them.

Would a used surface pro 4 not very better option
A Surface Pro 4 would be the best option i think for the price, just make sure you get the 256GB version.

Associate
I've got a HP ENVY x360 13-ag-0002na that I use as an occasional laptop and it fits the bill. It cost £600 new so I would think a used one would come within your budget.

Soldato
OP
Depends on the spec and price tbh, all manufacturers have expensive devices and cheap devices, the expensive ones are generaly faster and are built with higher quality materials.
The cheaper ones can be fast depending on spec but usualy feel cheap as the materials they are made from are cheaper.
If you are looking at the £350 price point then most will be roughlt the same quality but i would say watch some youtube reviews of what you are thinking of buying.

Surface books are great, i have a 13.5" surface book 2 provided by work but they are very expensive, i think it is over £2k. You may be able to get a first gen surface second hand if you are willing to pay £500-£600.

Like any device, faults are possible, my company predominantly use Surface Books or Surface Laptops and several of my colleagues have them and none of us have had any issues with them.

A Surface Pro 4 would be the best option i think for the price, just make sure you get the 256GB version.
Thanks for the advice, surface is my 1st but I'm also looking at the hp x360 and lenovo yoga

Forgot to ask are surface pro upgradeable ? A lot of the surface seam to be 128gb

Also what accessories come with the surface

I've got a HP ENVY x360 13-ag-0002na that I use as an occasional laptop and it fits the bill. It cost £600 new so I would think a used one would come within your budget.
Thanks I'm also considering a hp x360 the only issue I'm thinking is it it maybe a little too thick and chunky

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the advice, surface is my 1st but I'm also looking at the hp x360 and lenovo yoga

Forgot to ask are surface pro upgradeable ? A lot of the surface seam to be 128gb

The surface products are not designed to be upgraded, i think they do have standard NVMe drives in them but they are glued shut so you would likely break it just to get in and change it.
Other than the charger im not sure what you would get in the box, i dont remember getting any accessories.

Back
Top Bottom