• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Recommend me a graphics card pls

Soldato
Specs in sig.

Just sold the RX550 I had running this and want something thats ideally VR compatible for the future. I'm running a 3480x1440 34" display with freesync support so thought best to stick with AMD.

I have a PS4 Pro and Xbone One S for gaming. Not really got much time for gaming these days especially on PC but would like to leave the option available for later (i.e. not get too pants a card!).

Got a STRIX Motherboard with a Corsair 540X tempered glass case so Ideally want a matching STRIX AURA type card (potential to watercool later when I get time).

Problem I've got is do I go all out for a stock VEGA 56 card (top end of my budget and on offer this week @ OCUK) - then leave it till later to waterblock it all up OR just get something like the STRIX 580?

STRIX 1070 is slightly out of my budget and was probably ideal but I'll lose freesync support. Also read Nvidia are better for VR.....

thanks in advance.

Alternative is to just plump for a 570 or 1060 STRIX and wait it out until new cards arrive - for so late in 2017 it all seems a tad disaapointing!

oh and I refuse to spend more than £300 on a gfx card unless its got super powers.

Last edited:
Associate
Easy choice at that resolution: Vega 56. Not sure why the GTX 1070 would be ideal especially considering your freesync monitor?

Soldato
OP
My problem with VEGA 56 is it's power hungry and potentially overkill for what I need. £380 on the card, another ton on the waterblock not to mention the whole change of gear inside me PC - it'll work out about £500. I don't know if I cba with watercooling either anymore tbh lol. No way I'll stick with a stock reference cooler - noise drives me nuts (well actually it drove me to watercool all my PC's since 1998 lol.

Been reading a lot about VEGA 56 - Even the ASUS STRIX cooling can't keep in under control! - whats it like for VR? Doesn't seem to be much mention of it by AMD.

Associate
My problem with VEGA 56 is it's power hungry and potentially overkill for what I need. £380 on the card, another ton on the waterblock not to mention the whole change of gear inside me PC - it'll work out about £500. I don't know if I cba with watercooling either anymore tbh lol. No way I'll stick with a stock reference cooler - noise drives me nuts (well actually it drove me to watercool all my PC's since 1998 lol.

Been reading a lot about VEGA 56 - Even the ASUS STRIX cooling can't keep in under control! - whats it like for VR? Doesn't seem to be much mention of it by AMD.
At that resolution it definitely isn't overkill. If you want something cheaper and almost as good - take a look at second hand GTX 980 Tis. You'll lose freesync ofc, but it does use less power than the Vega 56, and there are plenty of quiet options out there. You could also try undervolting the Vega 56 to improve thermals/power consumption: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...beRiOTMsGeIkCDQUhXSBA/htmlview#gid=1964178281.

Permabanned

Just undervolt it. I fancy the idea of water cooling but the worry of a leak has kept me with a HAF XB case, couple of Noctua 140s and a Bitfenix Recon fan contoller. I was just pricing the HAF XB EVO again for another build.

VR is still moving very slowly, there are no high detail games out yet. Pretty much any card from the last few years is fine. Ask in the VR section.

Soldato
OP
I just dont game enough on me pc to warrant the expenditure on gfx guys.
Thanks for confirming my fear Wrinkly - VR is still developing - I'll stick with me Samsung S8 gear for now.

Bagged a 4Gb Asus STRIX 570 for 200 in the "bf deals" - lol - that's how much rx570's are supposed to be anyhow! - overpriced like u guys mentioned for the mining craze

Looked at it this way - AMD bias due to obvious freesync support on monitor.
RX550 - Just had one ~ £100
RX560 - Cheap not enough grunt to game tho ~ £150
RX570 - VR Support good enough ish, Similar to a 290X in performance (which I've had before driving 2k/3k screens in the past) - acceptable for ~200

RX580 - Asus model expensive at nearly £400!! - thats 1070/1080 territory anyhow
VEGA56/64 - Still new - will wait till next gen when its better developed - cant believe we're still on mainly stock coolers - expensive too for what they are.

Plus I'm refusing out of sheer spite to pay more than 400 for a top-end card :)

Soldato
take a look at second hand GTX 980 Tis. You'll lose freesync ofc, but it does use less power than the Vega 56
No it doesn't, I have a 980ti in my gaming rig and a Vega 64 in my work rig, they use as near as makes no difference the same power and according to reviews the Vega 56 uses noticeable less than both.

Soldato
Unless you're going to be content tweaking settings to get newer and more demanding games running between 40-50 FPS, then you need to be looking at a Vega 56 at least. It takes a considerable amount of grunt to power that resolution. I run a liquid cooled Vega 64 with that resolution and get around 70 FPS with the occasional dip in to the 40s for some the most demanding/poorly optimized games.

Soldato

Vega 56 actually only consumes a bit more or a bit less than an RX580,depending on the review and model of RX580 tested,and the R9 390 and R9 390X consumes 35W to 65W more. Nvidia is OFC more efficient,but it will run fine off a decent 500W PSU.

Soldato
OP
Unless you're going to be content tweaking settings to get newer and more demanding games running between 40-50 FPS, then you need to be looking at a Vega 56 at least. It takes a considerable amount of grunt to power that resolution. I run a liquid cooled Vega 64 with that resolution and get around 70 FPS with the occasional dip in to the 40s for some the most demanding/poorly optimized games.

That's about what I was expecting thanks for confirming.
Tis all good chaps - this 570 should last me for a while.

VEGA can wait for when I bust out the watercooling - by then it'll,l be VEGA128 or somat :)

Associate
No it doesn't, I have a 980ti in my gaming rig and a Vega 64 in my work rig, they use as near as makes no difference the same power and according to reviews the Vega 56 uses noticeable less than both.
I stand corrected (should have looked a bit closer). Hmm did get me interested in switching to a Vega 56. ;)

Back
Top Bottom