Recommend me a guitar

Associate
My dad has recently expressed an interest in learning the guitar and so I am looking at getting him one for Christmas. I don't think that he has ever played the guitar before so he will be learning everything from scratch. Can anyone give any advice on what to look for when I am buying one and what brands are good. My budget is around the £150-£175 limit.

Cheers

Soldato
Mohinder said:
Everyone will recommend the Yamaha Pacifica!

And that's exactly what I would recommend. I recently bought the 112 and it's a brilliant guitar. I'm not any good yet but a friend who is a very good player makes my cheap guitar look very very good.

Soldato
my recomendation is the peavey predator plus exp :p I have it, I brought it for about 170 last year dont know how much its going for now. Its a great guitar read some of the reviews for in on harmony central.

Permabanned
I recommend the Squier frontman pack, I got one to learn a while ago now and the guitar is great cant fault it, kept me going for a while now and am using it along side my ibanez SA260 have even used it for gigging, if you get a good squier they are great but it can be pot luck

Associate
MrMoon said:
I recommend the Squier frontman pack, I got one to learn a while ago now and the guitar is great cant fault it, kept me going for a while now and am using it along side my ibanez SA260 have even used it for gigging, if you get a good squier they are great but it can be pot luck

The amp's ***** though :) Especially compared to something like a Cube 15. Squier affinities are definately a bit of pot luck but the Standards are fairly consistent these days, certainly no worse than any other budget manufacturer.

Permabanned
Northwind said:
The amp's ***** though :) Especially compared to something like a Cube 15. Squier affinities are definately a bit of pot luck but the Standards are fairly consistent these days, certainly no worse than any other budget manufacturer.

true after 6 months of playing I replaced my frontman amp with a Randall RG75 G3

Associate
Oh aye, I meant to mention that the quality control on the more budget peavey basses is absolutely horrific, I've never come across worse. I don't know if the same's true of the guitars, though I believe they come from the same sources. Not just bad build either, some had blatantly bodged repairs when they came out of the box- I found one with a bad tone pot that had just been bypassed with a wee bit of extra wire. Unforgivable, that, even in an instrument half the price.

Back
Top Bottom