Recommend me a NAS please

Associate
Hi All,

I have not really gone the NAS route for a while. I did buy a QNAP about 10 years ago but we didn't really get on. File transfer was slow and I ended up not really using it. I suspect this may have been down to me rather than it.

Anyway I would like a NAS now to primarily back up files which I have stored on PC (in addition to cloud). I would also like to put my film library on there too (1080p and 4k). I have also been working to install an Ethernet network in my house to replace home-plugs. I would also like to backup my music server (Roon NUC) to the NAS also.

When I have done my research online I always seem to get a bit bemused and unsure. I want, I think, at least two bay, but four bay possible. I have around 3tb of films, 1tb music, 500gb photos and 500gb other files. So I was thinking 8tb in size to give me a little space to grow. I assume I would want something fairly powerful with decent ram.

I am probably aiming for a synology or QNAP because of their compatibility with Roon but this is not 100% necessary. What are the best HDD to go for?

So, what do people think?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.

Looking at the Synology's - A DS718+ with two 10TB Red Pro drives its £1021.97. If I look at the DS918+ with four 4TB Red Pro drives it is £1227.78. So both quite expensive. Any thoughts? I also see I can add ram as well, so I need to look into that. I will have a look at the QNAPs

I have been thinking about my main PC which is nearing the end of its life, however I am thinking I might get another year out of it, I am thinking about how I might reconcile drives etc. I think I might ditch my current two spinning drives (a 3tb and 1tb) and get a 8-10tb drive which I will use for all my storage and it will be from that drive that I back up on the NAS. Perhaps a WD 8TB Red pro for £299.99 fits the bill. I can then retain that drive for a new PC next year.

Associate
OP
Still looking - any NAS would need to be able to provide 4k content across my network so I suppose it will need to be fairly quick. The DS718+ looks to be able to do that.

Back
Top Bottom