Recommend me a PSU for X58 setup

Associate
Would the experts on here kindly advise me on a PSU to get for my rig.

I've recently purchased an Asus x58 mobo, Xeon x5650, 48GB DDR3 and a Fractal Design Define S. I'm planning on running something like a GTX 1080, so last piece of the puzzle is the PSU. It will be using a 1050ti for now until I decide on whether to get a 1080 or wait out new year and see whatever these GPU using GDDR6 will be...

I've got my eye on the Corsair CSM 750w 80+ Gold semi modular. I've ZERO plans to run SLI, so is this total overkill? I will be overclocking the x5650 once all my parts turn up also.

Man of Honour
I would be wanting a better quality psu than the overpriced and mediocre Corsair CS series which has several cheap caps inside. If I was looking for a new psu right now it would be one of the Seasonic Focus Plus series. Due to the X58 platform being fairly power hungry, especially if overclocking (not sure if you can overclock a Xeon on it) I would suggest the 650w version. The whole series are very compact at only 140mm long and all have a 10 year warranty. You can read a review of the 650w version here.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £105.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Associate
OP
Yeah they seem pretty awesome, probably wht they have a thread dedicated to them. Not bad considering the age of the components! Then again, my microserver running a xeon punches way above its weight!

Thanks for the PSU advice, really looking forward to putting my system together now. Not built a PC for a long time, used to really enjoy it when I was young!

Back
Top Bottom