Recommend new access points for house

Associate
Hey,

I currently use a mix of random Wireless N access points across the house to give strong wireless signal. I'm looking at replacing them (currently 3 in use) with 2 better ones.
I currently am using a TP Link WR841N, a D Link DIR615 and an Asus RT-N12.

We have Virgin 152Mbit Internet and I use an Atom motherboard running pfsense as my router and have structured cabling going to most places in the house where I then have my access points connected.

Can anyone recommend any access points that will let my phone and iPad etc get better wireless speed? I currently get about 30Mbit on wireless

Budget is £100-150 realistically. But could spend more if needed.
Cheers

Associate
Ubiquiti UniFi 3-pack seems like it's exactly what you need and on budget. Downsides are that they are only 2.4Ghz and not ac spec. They have excellent reviews however.

Don
We use the Ubiquiti in work, they're a great product, so seamless to set up. But the quickest we'll see from them is around 30Mbit

Any reason you need quicker wireless?

Associate
OP
No particular need for faster than 30Mbit, but I want to replace the mismatched kit with 2 or 3 of the same product and thought it would be a good time to invest in 5GHz and possibly AC compatible equipment.

Never used any Rukus equipment although I've heard good things about them? They are quite expensive though?

I like the look of the Ubiquiti UniFi kit, but not sure if I can really justify the price of the Pro version to get the 5Ghz and AC part.

The Virgin super hub is rubbish in our house, it's a 4 Bed detached, two living rooms etc all with block internal walls which means that more than one access point is needed to cover the house. Also using it would mean I couldn't use my pfsense router which is already configured for VPN access etc

Soldato
I have two TP-LINK TL-WA901ND With multiple SSIDs, for guests and normal users. Never bench marked them as if I want speed I go for cable. Nobody has never complained though...

Associate
OP
I've been considering replacing my pfsense box with a D-Link DIR-880L (on special for £95 ATM)

Has anyone had any experience with one of those? I'm thinking that it should cover the majority of the house and I might need to keep on of my access points for the garage/garden.

I have Virgin 152Mbit and want to get the best range and throughout possible on a reasonably limited budget

Cheers

Associate
OP
So I bought the D-Link and installed it today and I'm not that impressed really...

When I first installed it I managed to get 90Mbps over wifi on my iPhone and iPad, after not much time I can't get over 45Mbps. I also find the range is pretty poor and I'm pretty sure it's worse than the TP Link AP it's replaced in the centre of the house.

Anyone have any recommendations of what I should buy to replace it? I'm 95% sure I'm going to return it as it's just not as good as I expected.

The Asus RT-AC66U worth buying?

Back
Top Bottom