Recommendations Please

Associate
Hey guys

So after using a Rog Strix laptop for the past 12 months and putting up with the awful fan and heat issues for this time, I am now looking for a new gaming laptop. I can't quite find what I need without going over £2000. I was hoping to get an AMD laptop this time, with a decent graphics card, maybe a 3070 or 3080. But I really wanted a 1440p screen, most laptops seem to be either 1080p or 4k I believe. I can goto £2500 maybe a bit more but I really didn't want to, but I need a laptop with actual good cooling, so I need to avoid the Asus Strix line completely. Hoping you guys have some recommendations please.
Considering buying a laptop on buy now pay 12 months on here, or maybe somewhere else, but if I am recommended a laptop from Ocuk I will buy from here.

Thanks Guys.

Soldato
All the laptops in my sig are great, especially Lenovo.

I don't care about the screen though, as I use a monitor (I basically treat a laptop like a desktop, but it has the advantage of power efficiency and portability so I can use it in any room).

Soldato
I think the Lenovo Legion 5 Pro would do the job as it has a good 2560 x 1600 screen. The problem is they're never available for long so you have to spot when they arrive and be ready to grab one.

Soldato
Hi Jimbo mate, will check the Ryzen one out thanks mate, is the cooling ok on that?

Yup - I've found the cooling on both my Legions very good, and I've been using gaming laptops for years (ever since GTX-960m I think).

I've dismantled and repasted every laptop so far, except the Ryzen Legion because I don't think it would get me much. I did both the MSI and the i5 / 2060 Legion, but they were already pretty good and in any case, it's almost impossible on a laptop to avoid thermal throttle on the CPU. The GPUs I've found have not been thermally limited since perhaps the 1070 era - they are simply power-limited, so any performance increases come from vBIOS flashes with higher power limits.

I also prefer the Ryzen on the Legion to the i7 in the MSI because it runs cooler, plus it looks cool in Task Manager with all those cores! :D

Back
Top Bottom