Recommended 290x blocks for CF?

Soldato
Is there any consensus on which 290x blocks are best, and best for CF? I'd rather not have to spend lots on getting backplates.

I'm planning on a loop with CPU block, dual 290x blocks, 3 radiators (240, 280, 200) with a DDC 18w pump (on a fan controller) - wondering which would be best from the alphacool, watercool or EK blocks. Any suggestion of which of those to get?

Soldato
Any of them really. Backplates aren't essential with whatever you go for, unless you like it to look good ;)

If going with EK, get FC blocks and not CSQ as you'll NEED a CSQ bridge. FC blocks let you use either tubing or an FC terminal.

Soldato
There are no bad FC blocks really. EK is my first choice due to price and performance. Kryo blocks seem to give similar core temps with slightly lower vrms but there is no chance the VRMs will hit their limits when clocking on water using any of these blocks

Soldato
As long as they stay cool enough to deliver stable power, which they are capable of doing under air with aluminium heatsinks. Under water with copper blocks and there is no chance they will ever be an issue.

I use an EK block and really abuse my 290x. +239mv has allowed my reference 290x to hit 1300/1625 for benching. When i find a way to take it pass 1300 on the core, will try +300mv and maybe 350. Hopefully Asus bios will let me.

Soldato
Backplates do help combat bendyness which occurs a little more when ref coolers are removed, and help a little with cooling (they are machined and have pads on the back like memory chips)

Soldato
Backplates do help combat bendyness which occurs a little more when ref coolers are removed, and help a little with cooling (they are machined and have pads on the back like memory chips)

Yeah, I have 480gtx blocks with backplates atm, but I picked those up 2nd hand; I don't see them as worth £60 or so for 2 of them for a CF set-up tbh.