Recording software?

Associate
Hey guys im in need of some help, ive been invited to a mates house party where he will have some djs doing some sets. he wants me to do some recording but im not sure what software to use?

I'll be connecting to the mixer via an audigy 2 platinum, what would be the best software free or bought to use for best play back quality?

Cheers

Boo

Associate
OP
hmm just been reading up about sound forge and it seems (might be wrong) that if u recored a set and put it onto a cd it would play as 1 track, it seems the software doesn't support an indexing of some sort.

Unless i can record into sound forge normalize everything take out the pops and cracks then save it as 1 file then import to another cd creation program that supports indexing so i can make tracks in 1 continues file?

does that make sence to any of you?

Boo

Don
there probably is mate, but i'm definatly no sound expert, i just deal in mp3 :)

someone else will know, try asking in the Music forum, probably have better luck in there if there's no reply's here by midnight

Associate
For shorter recordings yeah go for audacity or the like but if your recording a few hours then maybe try something different

recording like that will no doubt eat a lot of memory and disk space and will quite possibly slow the machine to a crawl and crash out, another solution that works quite well is shoutcasting it

very simple, you use the line in/mic source plugin and shoutcast as the output plugin in winamp

then use a second copy of winamp with the disk output plugin, and set the format to mp3, tune it into the stream from the first copy and viola you can record reliably for days directly into mp3 without any kind of resource hogging or performance hit, can be done quite easily on a laptop

edit: actually, i was only doing it that way before to be able to stream to other machines too, you could probably just use the line in and disk output plugins together and forget shoutcast, i cant remember if you need sc to do the mp3 encoding inbetween though

Last edited:
Associate
OP
lol :) thats cool then, i'll try audacity then maybe buy sound forge, cheers guys, all i need to do now is find some software to index a continious track onto a cd and be able to select tracks

Boo

Don
the way i would do it (without using any extra software) would be to export each selection (select the part that you want to make a track) as wav in audacity

ie, manually export each track, so you have 01.wav, 02.wav, 03.wav

then use nero or something to burn as audio cd

Associate
OP
yeah i was thinking about that,

example:

open up the 1hr set, highlight at the end of a track, copy paste as a new section then save, do that to all the tracks in his set then burn as a cd making sure u leave out the 2sec gap option between tracks.

i can see np with this working

Boo

Back
Top Bottom